Thread: My Chinese junk M-14S

Exclamation My Chinese junk M-14S

71675925619__AD2D5AD7-413A-4EE2-A623-151BA20CF955.jpg
    IMG_7746.jpg
    IMG_7745.jpg

It has been altered some what. I bought it in 2006 and heard the Poly Techs were dangerous because of soft bolts. I had a USMC retired armourer install some USGI and aftermarket parts:

1. a glassed in birch stock
    2. a aftermarket flash suppressor
    3. a Winchester M-14 bolt
    4. a Sadlak titanium scope mount
    5. serialized rings
    6. a Tasco Super Sniper scope
    7. a trigger job

With those safety measured the rifle has not blown up and it will still put surplus GI ammo into 2.5-3" at 100 yards.
    Last edited by RED; 05-16-2024 at 09:14.

When the "problem" was discovered there was a lot of hype over it. The receivers were assumed to be soft as well when, in fact, they are forged just like the USGI makes. Companies like Smith were advertising their services to harden the receivers and the bolts or to replace the bolts. Soon the news came out that the receivers they over hardened were now considered to be brittle.

As far as the soft bolts go, what I read was over time and a lot of shooting the lugs would wear and affect headspace but it was only after many shots, more than many of us will ever shoot. Type and amount of lube would affect their life too.

Good you changed the bolt though. Now you don't have to be concerned over shooting it and whoever it goes to after your time here.

They're good guns made from Winchester tooling and U.S. blueprints. That's why bush (H) and clinton put a ban on them instead of banning Chinese made underwear, shoes with glued on plastic soles and other un-needed BS like rubber dog crap.
    Last edited by Allen; 05-17-2024 at 07:23.

Dallas, TX metro.. formerly Phoenix metro, AZ

Fulton armory was redoing those back in the early 90's I think. From what I've read, they are as good or better then the M1A Springfield when "done right".
    Enjoy.

Blog Entries

never heard the Chinese got Winchester tooling,

always heard it was reverse engineered from captures in the VN war

Quote Originally Posted by lyman View Post
    never heard the Chinese got Winchester tooling,

always heard it was reverse engineered from captures in the VN war
    I read that long ago. Now what I can find is that it was Springfield and the sale went to Taiwan.

This article backs my claim. Other articles back your claim. The Chinese, Japanese and Russians DO copy every thing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M14_rifle

"In 1967, the Springfield tooling and assembly line for M14 production was sold to the Republic of China, also known as Taiwan. In 1968, the State Arsenal of the Republic of China began producing the Type 57 rifle, and from 1969 to the present, produced over 1 million Type 57 rifles. The Type 57 is currently in service with airport guards and the reserves."

Blog Entries

I knew we (US) set up the plant in Taiwan, that bit is common knowledge,