Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Why kill an Animal for doing what it was born to do ? ...

A while back thay shot a beautiful Tiger because it ate
    a native. Personally I'd give a few thousand natives in
    exchange for one Tiger. There are nine billion people
    cluttering up the world but at last count less than 4000
    Tigers. I don't live among those big Cats, but those that
    do should keep one eye open when sleeping or wandering
    around. This story is about an Alligator going about it's
    business of eating dinner so why should it be shot for doing
    what comes naturally ? If you live among those big Lizards
    you should be wary especially around water,

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...shot-dead.html

I bet you'd feel different if they ate your family or tried to eat you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenboremag View Post
    If I was stupid enough to get eaten by a Tiger, I wouldn't want it shot.
    A Tiger is worth more than me - they eat Rodents, I don't.

4. Default

In the '90s we had a Governor who put a bear hunting limitation on the ballot to suck up to the enviro anti hunters. No bait, no dogs.
    Now we have bears in town. Old house is a block from HS, two from ES. Bear in my yard every summer for last six years. Sow with cubs lived in a big spruce one block from the old ES.

They need to learn to avoid people.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenboremag View Post
    I don't think I would, and I like my family and myself.

Call: You want me to do something about them indians that shot you?
    Gus: No, we ain't got no reason to be vengeful, they didn't invite us here.

Animals are less vengeful. It's called animal politics; they don't have a mean bone in their body but do what they are wired to do.
    We can spare some coyotes and hyenas, but tigers are special.
    If I should die before I wake...great,a little more sleep.

"Why kill an Animal for doing what it was born to do ? ..."

You swat mosquito's don't you?

I agree with you on the killing though. Exotic/endangered animals like lions and tigers need protection from their shrinking habit from human overpopulation. Big lizards are reptiles and don't think the same as an animal. No reason to kill them but they do become dangerous when they get big.

Snakes can be venomous or not. They can hide and strike you, your child or your pets. They can find a way to get into your home. For the most part they are a pest and dangerous or not they always startle us.

Where do you draw the line?
    Last edited by Allen; 09-23-2023 at 10:22.

How the heck would they have 'captured' a 14 foot alligator and return it to the swamp? As an aside, I think a couple hundred alligators in the Rio Grande would be better than a wall!

A predator in his place is fine. When he intrudes into space where he is not appropriate, his life is forfeit. For example, an allegator by a pond on a golf course is no big deal. An allegator trying to shove his snout under a chain link fence where little bitty children are playing in their backyard is dead meat, the sooner the better. That goes for dogs or anything else up to and including people. A man who acts in a predatory manner cannot expect to be treated as anything other than a predator. He is without excuse. JMHO. Sincerely. bruce.
    " Unlike most conservatives, libs have no problem exploiting dead children and dancing on their graves."

+1 bruce.

Worldwide man eaters are killed, including here. Mountain lions and alligators that attack human beings are routinely "summarily executed" when caught. This is not a vindictive thing. Its simply behavior that can not be tolerated. One reason is the behavior can become habitual. In the late 1890s two male lions hunting as a team killed and ate at least 28 railroad workers in Kenya, bringing construction to a virtual halt before they were finally killed.

We, human beings, routinely kill animals for their normal behavior in cases a lot less serious than man eating. In fact we kill everything from microbes, to roaches to coyotes, feral swine and more to limit the spread of disease, or to protect crops or livestock. I personally have the "bruce rule." I don't kill anything that isn't a threat/nuisance and that includes bugs. Fire ants in my yard, yup they've got to go, the same with roaches in my house. A copperhead in the woods is safe from me. A copperhead in my yard is dead meat and I've killed several in my yard as well as a couple of coral snakes.

What's really funny to me is the part aesthetics plays in all of this. Only human beings have a concept of beauty which is why birds have powerful lobbies to protect them and snakes and frogs don't. Of course the most intelligent (non human) animals on the planet, at best, only vaguely aware they're alive which makes this all the more interesting to me.

Personally I hope that that 'gator's hide is going into boots and they used the meat. I'm not a fan of alligator as food. The 'gator I've had was way to chewy and the flavor was nothing to write home about, but there are folks down here who definately will chow down on some gator.
    Last edited by Art; 09-24-2023 at 12:51.

10. Default

There is an older book "Man Eaters of Kuamon" about Jim Corbett who hunted tigers from about 1900 to 1930 in India. One of the tigers he hunted and killed had killed over 400 people. Once the tiger found out how easy it was to kill a human they no longer hunted deer, and the government would hire Corbett to hunt and kill these tigers.

Taken the telephone scammers of today, the tigers should have been left alone to control the population.