Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries

High School buddy had a scanner that was his mom's,
    she worked for a local mall, (was in charge of the place) and had one to keep an ear out for any issues in the area

in the early days of Cell phones, her scanner would pick up calls, sometimes

so we would listen in,
    back then the only people who had Cells were Real Estate Agents, and most of them were apparently gay,

some hilarious conversations,, then a year or so goes by and tech changed,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Scott View Post
    I know Draper and Pulaski county after serving my time in Blacksburg...surprised they can't run cable down interstate 81 from Radford....beautiful area where you live....I used to fly fish on the New river down your way 40 years ago...

For a Few Dollars More is on tonight....another great evening in front of the boob tube...
    Small world,

It is nice are Rural but you'd think by now they would upgrade things out in the county. As little as I watch TV, Direct is ok for what I watch though the price has gotten ridiculous over the years for the basic package and what's actually "watchable" on it.

Quote Originally Posted by WpnsMan View Post
    Small world,

It is nice are Rural but you'd think by now they would upgrade things out in the county. As little as I watch TV, Direct is ok for what I watch though the price has gotten ridiculous over the years for the basic package and what's actually "watchable" on it.
    You got that right!!

I have a question: I understand why I have to watch commercials on broadcast TV -- that's what pays for the programming. But I pay for Direct TV -- so how come there are still commercials?

Quote Originally Posted by WpnsMan View Post
    Small world,

Cable companies are not going to run cable in rural areas. They only run it where there is a large population with the aspects of getting a lot of subscribers. A dish antenna you simply point at the satellite. Satellite TV sucks except when it rains and you lose connection. Cable TV sucks all the time.

Since cable equates to population you are far better off without it, possibly forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Vern Humphrey View Post
    You got that right!!

I have a question: I understand why I have to watch commercials on broadcast TV -- that's what pays for the programming. But I pay for Direct TV -- so how come there are still commercials?
    That is a gripe of mine as well. The answer is "not enough competition"

On "pay TV" there should never be a commercial of any kind, zero, nada. Instead, we have as many if not more than free TV. We have the Direct TV DVR (Genie) and when you put it on pause you even get commercials. Old sitcoms are butchered up with all possible scenes deleated to make room for additional commercials. Often, shows don't run even times to even times like 12:00 to 12:30. They will run from 12:00 to 12:36, again to make way for additional commercials.

Then there are all the hispanic shows and reality TV shows where directors gets jobs for all their family. I only watch about a dozen channels on a regular basis.

What do you do--cut the cord? I don't care to "stream" plus I hear those networks have commercials as well. I like the DVR being able to program, record, playback at any time and FF thru things. I almost never watch basic, local TV.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vern Humphrey View Post
    You got that right!!

the commercials pay for the programing, however Direct TV is the provider,

as in they are the middle man that you use to get the TV programs, they don't make the content, or even own or provide the channel, they just provide you access

Quote Originally Posted by lyman View Post

as in they are the middle man that you use to get the TV programs, they don't make the content, or even own or provide the channel, they just provide you access
    I still object to having to watch commercials on TV I pay for.

Quote Originally Posted by lyman View Post

The point is the provider should be getting enough money to pay for the programing. We pay about $130 a month for basic, Genie and what they call a HD package of about 4 channels (Hallmark, Sony, other stuff) that also contains commercials.

9. Default

Never owned a television, always had a library card. And now the dog gets bent out of shape when I'm reading.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    The point is the provider should be getting enough money to pay for the programing. We pay about $130 a month for basic, Genie and what they call a HD package of about 4 channels (Hallmark, Sony, other stuff) that also contains commercials.
    good luck with that,

capitalism at it's finest,