Default CMP Garand with VAR Barrel

Good video on the accuracy of these barrels. He's shooting at 100 yards. He's got a good op rod spring in that rifle too. The bolt snaps shut on its own just like its supposed to. If yours doesn't a new spring might produce this result.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyX5eCnHD5E
    Last edited by Art; 09-30-2022 at 12:59. Reason: spelling

Bought two SA SG-VAR rifles when they were available. Out of the box, one shot 2.5 groups for 10 shots w/ Danish M-2 ball. The other rifle had a loose gas cylinder and a less than tight buttstock. Installed a nice tight buttstock. Then, shoved a bent business card between the gas cylinder and the barrel. Wrapped the whole affair with a thick rubber band. That rifle shot a smidgen better. Both were marked with Danish Navy anchors ... numbered 3227 and 3230. Sincerely. bruce.
    " Unlike most conservatives, libs have no problem exploiting dead children and dancing on their graves."

Quote Originally Posted by bruce View Post
    Bought two SA SG-VAR rifles when they were available. Out of the box, one shot 2.5 groups for 10 shots w/ Danish M-2 ball. The other rifle had a loose gas cylinder and a less than tight buttstock. Installed a nice tight buttstock. Then, shoved a bent business card between the gas cylinder and the barrel. Wrapped the whole affair with a thick rubber band. That rifle shot a smidgen better. Both were marked with Danish Navy anchors ... numbered 3227 and 3230. Sincerely. bruce.
    In days of late CMP north has a lot Of Danish returns with VAR barrels and some that have SA barrels with Service grade mix masters in Danish wood. The price is 900+ tax today for a SG.. Some of the rifles have good parts on them lock bar sites and early 6 digit rec. and G.I. stocks. I got one 6 digit SA 3-41 rec. with upside down 3-41 S.A. barrel and the rest mix master. Many have new stocks,but still a few with G.I. wood.

Quote Originally Posted by jeep View Post
    In days of late CMP north has a lot Of Danish returns with VAR barrels and some that have SA barrels with Service grade mix masters in Danish wood. The price is 900+ tax today for a SG.. Some of the rifles have good parts on them lock bar sites and early 6 digit rec. and G.I. stocks. I got one 6 digit SA 3-41 rec. with upside down 3-41 S.A. barrel and the rest mix master. Many have new stocks,but still a few with G.I. wood.
    they STILL have some?

i got a Danish return back when they were about $400 in a beech stock. july 1942 serialed SA in a beech stock with a wrong serial number stamped into it. everything else has drawing number revisions from january 1944. the barrel has no markings in the oprod channel but underneath the rear handguard it has the WRA roll mark and the following hand stamped into it:

RBLT
    O.B.S. 3

it was my best shooting garand with USGI M2 ball.

i think its been determined that O.B.S 3 was in Australia during the war but its interesting to me that a rifle from the pacific ended up in europe after the war. one would think that we had more than enough stocks in europe already or on the east coast to supply the Danes with. regardless, its seems obvious to me that the rifle saw enough combat to warrant a complete rebuild just before Christmas 1944

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ltdave View Post
    they STILL have some?

i got a Danish return back when they were about $400 in a beech stock. july 1942 serialed SA in a beech stock with a wrong serial number stamped into it. everything else has drawing number revisions from january 1944. the barrel has no markings in the oprod channel but underneath the rear handguard it has the WRA roll mark and the following hand stamped into it:

RBLT
    O.B.S. 3

it was my best shooting garand with USGI M2 ball.

i think its been determined that O.B.S 3 was in Australia during the war but its interesting to me that a rifle from the pacific ended up in europe after the war. one would think that we had more than enough stocks in europe already or on the east coast to supply the Danes with. regardless, its seems obvious to me that the rifle saw enough combat to warrant a complete rebuild just before Christmas 1944
    I picked up one for that price as well,

mine was dipped, metal wise, in some cosmo, thick black stuff under the handguards and woodline,

took a bit to clean it out, or I thought I had it cleaned out, and after the 3rd clip, it was oozing goo,,

picked up another at the north store less wood that was correct for barrel/receiver date and manufacturer,

both shoot well,