Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

I have a few Rossi 88's (2" SS) and 357's scattered in the house all loaded with 38spl +P.

Inside your home you don't want something that's going to penetrate one wall and go into another yet you want something that will do the "job".

2. Default

One of those AOW .410 pumps.

Quote Originally Posted by dogtag View Post
    I'm talking bullet choice.
    I live in a very safe neighborhood but just in case I keep a loaded
    but not cocked 03 Colt in 32 in my computer desk drawer.
    It was loaded with Winchester silver tips but I changed over to FMJs
    thinking that a few feet distance an expanding bullet would not have
    enough oomph behind it to actually expand. A bullet is a bullet
    however so I'm pretty sure the difference would be negligible.
    I'm just thinking aloud really.
    So, am I right, wrong or what ? Whatdoya think ?
    Dogtag, when I lived in So. Philly I used to frequent a speakeasy across the street. I still remember a conversation about just this topic. It went around for a while but the consensus was a .32 was best. "Doesn't make as much of a mess in your house, and with any luck the guy will go die somewhere else."

jn
    Last edited by jon_norstog; 01-01-2022 at 12:22. Reason: spelling

Blog Entries

.32 ACP kilt a lot of europeans

Sound like yo have the best available, work with it

Best to confirm the silvertips will feed thru the 03 Colt.

If the secondary firearm are available, upgrade IF you can.

My house gun is couple of J-frames with old Hornady 140 gr Xtps, that shoot to POA. followed up with old WIn 97, with the hammered eared back reminds me of a German Shepard ready to GO.

good luck and hope you DON'T need to use.

I will tell the burglar, I hate loud noise, please don't make me shoot you. It's a ploy.

We just had a news production where a home owner with a pistol confronted a burglar who had hit twenty homes in a block or two. Homeless guy. The HO had it all on his commonly available secuirity camera. Somehow he danced arouond with the perp until he got away. Not saying that wasn't the best alternative. The guy has flameing red hair and a huge tattoo on his neck. OK, all the scumbags have tattoos but I figure they will round him up eventually.
    If I should die before I wake...great,a little more sleep.

My near the bed midnight break in gun is a old but reliable single shot 12 gauge 18 inch, open bore barrel, shotgun loaded with #8 shot.

My carry gun is a S&W Airweight .38 spl.

My car gun is a CZ-83 with 2-12 round mag.
    Last edited by RED; 01-05-2022 at 08:23. Reason: ?

8. Default

The current argument against "small bores", FMJs, is over penetration of drywall, etc., ineffective against assailants under the influence, against hollow points, underpenetration of thick clothing, etc.
    My bedside guns?-my 6" Ruger Stainless Security and my 6" S&W M-28 loaded with a good 38. Their heft means a follow up shot will be much easier, at the 10-12' distances in my apartment I think a 38 has plenty of anchoring power-and that long barrel has a greater intimidation factor.

After having my front door kicked in and being robbed at gun point I vowed that the next time I would not be an unarmed victim. Beside gun is a 1911 loaded with Black Talon, computer gun is a Commander with Black Talon, chairside gun is a Hi-Power with Rem. 124 gr HP. Downstairs are various handguns in the safes loaded with either Black Talon or, if 9mm loaded with Rem. HP. Hanging on the wall next to the gun room door is an FN FAL with ball ammo. In a wall rack are a Win M12 with buckshot and an M1 Carbine with 110 gr. soft points. All guns have been tested with what they are loaded with. Not too long ago I quit taking a gun with me to the bathroom, but still will bring one most of the time when I take a shower. Usually it is the Nickle Commander.
    You can never see too many Sun Rises nor enough Sun Sets.

Quote Originally Posted by DMS42 View Post
    After having my front door kicked in and being robbed at gun point I vowed that the next time I would not be an unarmed victim. Beside gun is a 1911 loaded with Black Talon, computer gun is a Commander with Black Talon, chairside gun is a Hi-Power with Rem. 124 gr HP. Downstairs are various handguns in the safes loaded with either Black Talon or, if 9mm loaded with Rem. HP. Hanging on the wall next to the gun room door is an FN FAL with ball ammo. In a wall rack are a Win M12 with buckshot and an M1 Carbine with 110 gr. soft points. All guns have been tested with what they are loaded with. Not too long ago I quit taking a gun with me to the bathroom, but still will bring one most of the time when I take a shower. Usually it is the Nickle Commander.
    Wow, sorry this happened to you. Thanks for replying. This is what this thread is all about--our worse fears/possibilities.

You may want to consider an additional gun to keep in the bathroom. An experienced robber would know to listen for the shower knowing you or your wife would be defenseless during that time.

I have Glocks, 1911's, M4's, carbines and other semi auto's but prefer to keep a revolver, bolt action, pump or lever action handy for emergencies. I've always had bad luck with auto's jamming at the worse possible time. Also, leaving a mag loaded, even partially loaded, weakens the mag springs over time and hopefully that would be a very long time as most of us will never have to use them against an intruder (hopefully). Of course this is just my preference though.