Default Head space ( No not that kind )

Going to a gun show today and was thinking of a Remington replacement bolt. If I get the bolt and it feeds and closes the bolt without out having to force it closed, do you think the head space would be ok?

The only way to check headspace is with proper headspace gauges. Headspace gauges are neither horribly expensive or difficult to come by.
    A bolt that produces excessive headspace will close easily. Feeding has nothing whatever to do with headspace.
    A vendor at a gun show will very likely have an excrement fit if you tried to load a rifle at a gun show too.
    Spelling and grammar count!

3. Default

Yeah, at least get a field gauge. If the bolt closes on it, the headspace is way out of tolerance. A set of go-no go gauges is best. You will find them to be invaluable when dealing with U.S. military stuff, and are usable for .270, .280, etc. also.

4. Default

They're not that expensive. I bought a set for a "one time need" and they've come in handy MANY more times than I expected.

Quote Originally Posted by gnoahhh View Post
    are usable for .270, .280, etc. also.
    This is new information to me. I have a .303 British headspace gauge that I also use for .30-40 Krag, but I didn't know my .30-06 gauge could multitask. Could you please expand on the "etc"?

ETA: I assume we're talking about .270 Winchester and .280 Remington ... ?
    Last edited by IditarodJoe; 12-14-2016 at 06:19.
    "They've took the fun out of running the race. You never see a campfire anywhere. There's never any time for visiting." - Joe Redington Sr., 1997

Quote Originally Posted by IditarodJoe View Post
    This is new information to me. I have a .303 British headspace gauge that I also use for .30-40 Krag, but I didn't know my .30-06 gauge could multitask. Could you please expand on the "etc"?

ETA: I assume we're talking about .270 Winchester and .280 Remington ... ?
    SOME will interchange, most will NOT. Rimmed cartridges and belted magnums because of the way they headspace are easier to figure out than rimless bottle neck calibers. See chart..........( notice that .280 Rem. [and etc.] is not on it ! )

http://www.clymertool.com/headspac/index.html

HTH,

Emri
    Last edited by Emri; 12-14-2016 at 07:10.

7. Default

I stand corrected. I thought it was good for all cartridges based on the .30-06, those made by simply necking it up or down. I didn't realize the .280 was different in that respect, but all the other "etc.'s" are.

Thanks Emri! That chart will be very useful.
    "They've took the fun out of running the race. You never see a campfire anywhere. There's never any time for visiting." - Joe Redington Sr., 1997