Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

You have to remember though, among the younger shooters, the AR15 is king. M-1's and M-14's are obsolete crap, and read what the younger guys have to say on the blogs about 1911's, obsolete crap when compared to the Glock 17.
    The weapons of our generation are going by the wayside, most folks don't want to waste time and money tooling up for old weaponry when the future is in AR15 and AR10 style weapons. They modernized the FAL into the SCAR, it hasn't had a big following. All the retro stuff hitting the market like new M-1 carbines is probably mostly going to old farts who never kept one 40 yrs ago, like me. There will be little one man shops who continue on making replacement parts, like for old civil war guns, but the mass market does not lean that way.
    Even the new faux Springfield Armory discontinued their M-1 rifle. I doubt they would care to start making op rods.

Bula Defense Systems in Cleveland is making some high quality parts for the M1 and M14. For the M1 they had barrels and op rods at Camp Perry this year and show gas cylinders, trigger components and bolt components on their web sight.
    Gotta keep us old dinosaurs supplied you know.
    Last edited by nf1e; 11-24-2016 at 02:41.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SemperFi, 0321 View Post
    You have to remember though, among the younger shooters, the AR15 is king. M-1's and M-14's are obsolete crap, and read what the younger guys have to say on the blogs about 1911's, obsolete crap when compared to the Glock 17.
    The weapons of our generation are going by the wayside, most folks don't want to waste time and money tooling up for old weaponry when the future is in AR15 and AR10 style weapons. They modernized the FAL into the SCAR, it hasn't had a big following. All the retro stuff hitting the market like new M-1 carbines is probably mostly going to old farts who never kept one 40 yrs ago, like me. There will be little one man shops who continue on making replacement parts, like for old civil war guns, but the mass market does not lean that way.
    Even the new faux Springfield Armory discontinued their M-1 rifle. I doubt they would care to start making op rods.
    SA Inc used USGI componets aside from the barrel and receiver, I have one that came with an SA op rod new from the factory.

Not a day goes by that some newbie pops up on a Garand facebook page asking questions, and while there are some old farts, most are much younger. As the old farts that have been hoarding M1's die off, they will be sold or transferred to younger shooters, except for the odd case of someone wanting to be buried with his M1.

M1's are a fungible product.
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

Quote Originally Posted by Sunray View Post
    Don't recall Remington ever having anything to do with M1 Rifles or their parts.
    "...new manufactured M14 semi auto..." Is an M1A. Sort of. Winchester is owned by FN now too. However, I think most or all M-14 machinery and tooling was sent to Taiwan.
    We can add Remington op rods to the very long list of things that Sunray doesn't know about M1 Garands (and other things).

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by PhillipM View Post
    SA Inc used USGI componets aside from the barrel and receiver, I have one that came with an SA op rod new from the factory.

Not a day goes by that some newbie pops up on a Garand facebook page asking questions, and while there are some old farts, most are much younger. As the old farts that have been hoarding M1's die off, they will be sold or transferred to younger shooters, except for the odd case of someone wanting to be buried with his M1.

M1's are a fungible product.
    Very well said.

Gunny

Quote Originally Posted by PhillipM View Post
    As the old farts that have been hoarding M1's die off, they will be sold or transferred to younger shooters, except for the odd case of someone wanting to be buried with his M1.
    Hey! Taking along an M1 with a bandoleer of AP might be a good idea as you never know what might be on the other side!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnF View Post
    Hey! Taking along an M1 with a bandoleer of AP might be a good idea as you never know what might be on the other side!
    Working on that idea. Wonder what would happen in the oven with api.

Quote Originally Posted by SemperFi, 0321 View Post
    I've fired AR-15's and AK-47's... and even M-14's (when I was in the military), and to be honest, I'll take a Garand any day and twice on Sunday! IMHO, black weapons have no heart or soul. I personally find ARs to be uncomfortable to handle, and not much fun to shoot either! As for the Glocks, you couldn't give me one (ok, you could, but I'd trade it in for something better). They are absolute junk!!! Besides, I'd rather fire one .45 ACP round from a 1911, than have to fire ten 9mm's from a Glock!
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo

Blog Entries

The admin of a Facebook page on the M1 just hit 19,000 members. I'm sure some have none and some have multiple.
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur