Thread: Repro Krag Stock

1. Default Repro Krag Stock

Am about to start another resurrection project. Does anyone know a source for repro krag rifle stocks? Have had hit or miss luck with Boyd's, but it seems they no longer make them. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. JOEZ

Try S&S Firearms and Dunlap Woodcrafters
    "Three people can keep a secret as long as two of them are dead" Mark Twain

3. Default

Try here http://gunstockduplicating.com/index.html won't be cheap but the best on the market to date.

If Boyds is no longer making them... it will leave a hole in the market (although based on the quality of their workmanship... that may be a relative thing). I wish the CMP would offer one, like they do for the 1903, 1917, Garand, M1 Carbine, etc. Hopefully in the future, some enterprising stock making company will fill that void, and NOT break our wallets doing it!
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo

Funny, I can totally understand the need/desire for a new custom hunting stock, but have a problem with putting a repro stock on an old military rifle. Maybe it has to do with then having to apply fake stamps, I don't know. I'd much prefer to use an SA rear portion and graft-on a forend. To me, one is a "repair", even though the armory would not have made such, and the other is a "fake" - but maybe I'm trying to split too fine a hair?

FWIW, the Kokolus shop always had the highest reputation, and if the prices shown on the link provided are still current, they are not expensive at all.

Yeah... I gotta go with you on that Dick. Fake stamps and trying to fake a legitimate rifle is totally wrong, and should not be allowed. This is why I repaired my cracked 1898 stock rather than replacing it.

I was thinking more along the lines of... say, trying to restock my sporter, which has a butchered Bishop stock on it. If I rebarreled it with a full-length barrel, and put it in a stock to make it legal for CMP matches... etc (not that I am going to do that... but just as an example).
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo

7. Default

I don't see a problem with doing that, as long as it's never passed off as original (by someone down the line). A note inside the buttstock and/or a brief stamped message inside the stock to alert future owners as to the provenance of the wood would be a welcome touch. It is nice to experience a user gun that looks and feels like when it was new.

Quote Originally Posted by gnoahhh View Post
    I don't see a problem with doing that, as long as it's never passed off as original (by someone down the line). A note inside the buttstock and/or a brief stamped message inside the stock to alert future owners as to the provenance of the wood would be a welcome touch. It is nice to experience a user gun that looks and feels like when it was new.
    Guess I'll just have to respectfully disagree. I'd much rather have an 80% condition original, than a 98% condition repro. If I wanted a brand new rifle, I'd go buy a new Ruger, or Remington 700, or whatever.