Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Maybe artillery was different but we oiled and greased our rifles. In winter in Germany we stripped the grease for really cold weather. The grease points were about the same as for the M1 except for the roller which the TM said should be oiled and the op rod cam recess was not greased. I tend to use more grease on my M1a than I did on my M14, perhaps because I've been shooting an M1 Garand a lot. I'm especially anal about the roller. Why the TM didn't want it greased I do not know but mine gets greased.

Jerry Liles

2. Default

I heard that is real dusty climates the M14 is also run dry with no problems.
    liberum aeternum

Tropical, temperate, and wet climates - Grease!

Very cold - run dry or dry lubes*.

Extreme dust and sand - run dry or dry lubes and brush off the dust and sand often. An old fashion shaving brush does the job.

Worked for the M1 and works for the M14. I think of these rifles as having been designed for tractor mechanics - big parts, lots of grease and lube. The M16 is more like a precision sewing machine (but a very deadly and competent sewing machine) in its design and requirements for lube.

*We have a lube for the cryostats that we use for frozen sections at the hospital that would likely work for a cold lube. We run the cryostats at -22*C

Quote Originally Posted by 13Echo View Post
    Tropical, temperate, and wet climates - Grease!

Very cold - run dry or dry lubes*.

Extreme dust and sand - run dry or dry lubes and brush off the dust and sand often. An old fashion shaving brush does the job.

Worked for the M1 and works for the M14. I think of these rifles as having been designed for tractor mechanics - big parts, lots of grease and lube. The M16 is more like a precision sewing machine (but a very deadly and competent sewing machine) in its design and requirements for lube.

*We have a lube for the cryostats that we use for frozen sections at the hospital that would likely work for a cold lube. We run the cryostats at -22*C
    Were you taught that during or after basic training?

The Bn and Battery had enough senior NCOs that had been to Korea, and, I think the CSM was in WW II as well, and understood what an M1 needed to function so we used their experience to make certain our M14s did the same.
    Jerry Liles

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 13Echo View Post
    The Bn and Battery had enough senior NCOs that had been to Korea, and, I think the CSM was in WW II as well, and understood what an M1 needed to function so we used their experience to make certain our M14s did the same.
    Jerry Liles
    Do you shoot at Pioneer, LA?
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

No. I'm from Monroe and shoot at a private range and the Ouachita Parish Sheriff's range. Only for fun matches like the Vintage rifle match. There are some really serious pistol shooters around here though.

8. Default

Just a couple things come to mind.

The stock is not USGI and includes a scope rail. In my humble opinion, that stock / rail combo attracts dirt like a magnet.

Has anyone considered that they might be shooting 7.62 mm NATO surplus ammo in a gun chambered in .308? I'm sure that tjhis would occur. They are not the same. .308 NO GO is 7.62mm GO.

Regards,

Driver 8

Quote Originally Posted by Driver 8 View Post
    Just a couple things come to mind.

The stock is not USGI and includes a scope rail. In my humble opinion, that stock / rail combo attracts dirt like a magnet.

Has anyone considered that they might be shooting 7.62 mm NATO surplus ammo in a gun chambered in .308? I'm sure that tjhis would occur. They are not the same. .308 NO GO is 7.62mm GO.

Regards,

Driver 8
    They made a point in the video of showing the ammo box they were using which was Federal commercial ammunition made especially for the M1A so that wasn't the problem.

The problem is the Garand action. If you lube it appropriately for the conditions you happen to be in at the time the problems are mitigated, but the Garand action does require a lot of attention to lubrication and this does vary with the conditions. It does help a lot, as well, if the people who are training you inform you of the above facts and you are provided with the stuff you need to lube or not lube it as necessary reliability suffers. More modern rifles aren't as picky about that stuff.

As an aside, our son who toted around an M4 for quite a few years in the Air Force told us it would have been really, really nice if the military would issue solvent which would really ease the maintenance chores especially since the M16 weapons series, like all direct impingement systems creates its own gung. The official line is that CLP is all you need, well I don't know if that's true but I have it from a reliable source that a good solvent whisks away that residue very quickly, some things never change it seems.

Oh, these guys aren't novices, they know the right way to clear a failure to extract and it is not klcking the op rod handle. I was never taught that in the Army either .
    Last edited by Art; 09-01-2015 at 12:56.

I'm not sure what the point of all this is. Proper maintenance and lubrication (for the conditions) should be a normal part of everyone's shooting regimen. Those who don't know how to take care of their weapons shouldn't be shooting.