Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Steve, I do not know anything on this guy you speak of....it could be right as rain.......One of the fakers likes to throw different experts names around...... I told him that heck, then they ought to buy all of those "rare un-documented but are certainly DCM/CMP sold" NM Garands, M1D's that he comes up with...........Their widows would certainly have an easier time selling them than mine would........

the golden rule is this...... without DCM/CMP papers that can be verified & gotten done again.......the value of the undocumented rifles is the sum of it's parts.........now, I'd get a guarantee that I'd have time to get the letter from CMP again myself..... the $25.00 spent is cheap enough....& that if the original papers are proven to be fakes, a 100% money back guarantee and on the high dollar rifles an agreement to pay all legal fees needed to collect the monies I'd spent on it......like I said before, I hate fakers.
    be safe, enjoy life, journey well
    da gimp
    OFC, Mo. Chapter

dobek:

It came with hand written data sheet from Scott Duff. Data sheet is in ink, so not a photocopy - signature looks like his - - - I am going to scan and send to Scott for verification - - - it will be interesting to see IF he forged Scott Duff's signature - and what Scott will do if that is true.

I'm sure Scott would be very appreciative for the information. His signature on a data sheet carries a lot of weight. Forged documents linked to rifles subsequently found to be faked would have a big impact on his reputation...and ultimately, his wallet.
    "No man's life, liberty, or property is safe, while Congress is in session." Mark Twain

3. Default

I have been searching for the thread on the CMP forum with no luck. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Very informative indeed and I also appreciate that someone went to all the trouble to research and share the info.

The legal system has no interest in nickel/dime cases!

Quote Originally Posted by gfguns View Post
    I have been searching for the thread on the CMP forum with no luck. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Very informative indeed and I also appreciate that someone went to all the trouble to research and share the info.
    Here is a link:

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=130475

Be aware that there were a lot of posts and old ads deleted after the fact. A lot of the info was captured by screen shots before it was deleted.

Cass

6. Default

I find it hard to believe that the CMP would support that behavior on their Forum. Word I got was that someone on the forum was running interference for those people, and more people are involved in that practice.
    liberum aeternum

7. Default

Thanks Cass

Quote Originally Posted by Cass View Post
    Here is a link:

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=130475

Be aware that there were a lot of posts and old ads deleted after the fact. A lot of the info was captured by screen shots before it was deleted.

Cass

bomdog check CSP Sale/Wanted, 1944 Springfield M1 ( I have nothing to do with this. ) FWIW
    Quote Originally Posted by bombdog View Post
    i too thought it was a very informative article Dan... Glad i don't have the cash to chase my dream M1... Aug-44 SA, turned into the type one NM... Hens teeth???
    bombdog, out...
    Last edited by glindes; 05-11-2015 at 07:12.

I found the article to be rather disturbing but not surprising. As we always said at work, there are more of them on the streets than there are locked up. Several years ago RTL (I think) had a post of fake cartouches and had a lot of photos of both the real deal and then the fakes that were showing up. I thought then that this might be an indication of what was coming where those who preferred to lean to the illegal side might venture into actual firearms themselves. Now you have both counterfeit "genuine" firearms and counterfeit "genuine" documentation to go along with them. With the exception of 1 Garand, all mine came from DCM/CMP over the years and I have kept both the certificates and the bills of sale but other than a letter, which can be forged too, there isn't much else a guy can do to show the origin of the piece.
    As to the judicial system, with everything else going on in the country, courts, prosecutors, correctional facilities and law enforcement are stacked so I doubt anything will be done to the perps who have been ID'd. If the feds can't take a $125,000 fraud case through their system because of the backlog and refers it back to the state system, do you think they will follow up on any of these issues? I doubt it.
    I did scan and pass the article along to some I know who want a Garand and could fall pray to these scams. I hope it's enough.
    Dan, thanks for posting this for those that might not have access to the GCA article.
    Last edited by duke133; 05-12-2015 at 07:08. Reason: spelling

Follow up to my initial post -

Background - I had bought a rifle from the guy passing forged CMP docs back in 2011 - the CMP letter I got was a photocopy because it covered multiple rifles - - but - - it also came with a datasheet signed by Scott Duff (ink signed) - - - -

Follow up - I sent a copy of the datasheet to Scott Duff to verify it was indeed his datasheet and signature - got an email back from Scott today - It's legit

So, at the same time the forger was doing a little "enhancing" - he was also selling legit collector grades - - -

I didn't get burned.

Steve
    Last edited by dobek; 05-12-2015 at 02:24.