Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Reptile46 View Post
    On the subject of RIA 1903s, I have one clearly marked on the receiver as Rock Island Arsenal with a serial number in the 4xxxxx range. I replaced the original stock with a CMP C stock for aesthetics, but kept the original. Can anyone clarify the RIA serial number range and dates for the 1903?
    Giving only ONE number, it is a little hard. Can you provide at least the next two digits?

Rock Island receivers in the 400,000 range were manufactured shortly before the production of major RIA parts was halted in mid-1919. Nearly all of them were passed along as spare parts to Springfield Armory in the mid-1920s and assembled partially with Springfield parts.

Would you provide some more details (and hopefully, pictures) of your rifle?
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

Live in the People's Republic of Maryland

Sorry, the full serial number is 429937. I'll post pictures this evening.
    The barrel has a circled "S" on the left side just in front of the receiver. Based on comments earlier in this thread, the rear sight is RIA ("straight" 7).
    The only other distinguishing feature is that the stamp on the receiver is a "light strike" at the top, but a full, crisp imprint of ROCK ISLAND ARSENAL and the serial number.
    More later and thanks.

Is there a month/year date aft of the front sight? Manufacturer's initials?
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

Here are photos:image.jpg
    image.jpgimage.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nothing on the barrel. Just a 2 on the front sight blade. The original stock and the pinned trigger group make me think this might be a Greek return.
    Here are more photos:
    image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

The "circle S stamp indicates that part is a Sedgely part.

Nothing on the TOP of the barrel just aft of the front sight? Something typical might be:

SA
    (flaming grenade)
    7-28

If not the barrel may have been a modified machine gun barrel and the rifle may have been a Sedgely "piece-together"

The serial number is about 750 numbers below the highest certified RIA serial number noted, 430,742.
    Last edited by Rick the Librarian; 03-06-2015 at 07:31.
    --C.S. Lewis

I'm familiar with the barrel markings and this one is unmarked, except for the Sedgley "S". When I switched out the stock nothing stood out in the way of markings. The safety is marked "R". The stacking swivel is marked "RS". The underside of the bolt handle is marked "R". When I put a finish on the new stock I'll do a close check of everything. Thanks for your comments.

It appears to be a Sedgely "put-together". They often used non-M1903 parts. I usually see low-numbered SA and RIA receivers in such rifles, but I don't remember seeing a very high numbered RIA receiver on one before.
    --C.S. Lewis

[QUOTE=Rick the Librarian;405982]

It is one of the "transitional" Rock Islands made when the forging method was changed. Although in the "low" range, John Beard said it one of those which received the later heat-treating method.

The serial number is 278,759 and it appears to be correct/original in most respects. It has a 5-18 RIA barrel with a C104 steel lot code for you who are keeping score.

Please explain "transitional" and give serial number range of "transitional" rifles. My understanding of the change over for RIA was very specific at SN# 285507 but SA was squishy on their change over SN#.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick the Librarian View Post
    It appears to be a Sedgely "put-together". They often used non-M1903 parts. I usually see low-numbered SA and RIA receivers in such rifles, but I don't remember seeing a very high numbered RIA receiver on one before.
    Thanks for the information. I'll do a web search to learn more about the "put-togethers".