Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1940 Commercial

Shooter5 Guest

Nice box. I was hoping to see a Swartz Safety pistol ---maybe next time. The price might be a little high?
    Last edited by stan4; 09-21-2014 at 09:22.

3. Default

Wow, $6950 for a commercial, seems high..

Here is my Dad's 1940 Colt GM 199065. It does not have the Swartz Safety.The slide was replaced because he had to pistol whip one of his deputies for getting in a drunken gunfight at a party. The slide was bent in under the ejection port. I had it refinished and engraved by the late Bill Adair some years ago....

"Give Me A Fast Ship And I Will Sail In Harms Way" John Paul Jones, U.S. NAVY

Quote Originally Posted by Shooter5 View Post
    That guy is reall proud of his stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by John HOLBROOK View Post
    Here is my Dad's 1940 Colt GM 199065. It does not have the Swartz Safety.The slide was replaced because he had to pistol whip one of his deputies for getting in a drunken gunfight at a party. The slide was bent in under the ejection port. I had it refinished and engraved by the late Bill Adair some years ago....

John,

Is the GM receiver cut for the Swartz safety?

Best Regards,

Quote Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
    John,

Is the GM receiver cut for the Swartz safety?

Best Regards,
    No it is NOT. I have examined many in this serial number range and some are and some are not! Many of the prewar Colts were converted to military use and most I have seen had the Swartz cuts... Like this one, which has refinished..

"Give Me A Fast Ship And I Will Sail In Harms Way" John Paul Jones, U.S. NAVY

Quote Originally Posted by John HOLBROOK View Post
    No it is NOT. I have examined many in this serial number range and some are and some are not! Many of the prewar Colts were converted to military use and most I have seen had the Swartz cuts... Like this one, which has refinished..

John,

Interesting. Do you have a Colt letter on this one? I have examined about 10 within about 800 numbers of yours. All but one were cut. The one is a Brazilian, about 100 away from yours. (As you know, these were not assembled or shipped in order.)

Best Regards,

Shipment on any of the Colt C/M 1911A1 pistols will show shipment to Springfield Armory. Did the Brazilian have a U.S. military serial number?

Most of the foreign contract pistols, like the Brazilian contract, were not fitted with the Swartz Safety.

Last edited by Johnny P; 10-16-2014 at 08:57.

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny P View Post
    Shipment on any of the Colt C/M 1911A1 pistols will show shipment to Springfield Armory. Did the Brazilian have a U.S. military serial number?

Most of the foreign contract pistols, like the Brazilian contract, were not fitted with the Swartz Safety.

I realize the confusion here. I am in the GM Swartz safety (SS) track, and some of the threads here, introduced the C/M pistols (the 6575 GM's transferred to the 1942 military contract). That is understandable, the C/M's are a large portion of the pistols in the SS range (C185006-C215083). (However, because very few SS were installed prior to C190000, there is only about 25000 pistols actually in the SS range.)

I am not aware of a C/M that is a Brazilian, or a Brazilian that became a C/M. I am aware of Brazilians that were recovered from battlefields in Italy and were refurbished for the U.S. Army.

As far as I know (AFAIK), all the C/M pistols were cut for the SS. AFAIK, all the pistols shipped to Argentina in the SS range were cut for the SS. AFAIK, all the pistols sold in the U. S. (commercially), in the SS range, were cut for the SS. AFAIK, all the pistols shipped to Brazil and Mexico, in the SS range, were not cut for the SS. I believe this is because Brazil and Mexico had contracts that ordered the pistols without the SS. While most of the other countries, purchasing pistols in the SS range, were supplied with pistols that had already been assembled with the SS. Yes, there could be exceptions. The question here is;---What is C199065? Is it an exception? When was it assembled? When (and to who) was it shipped? (I know you could send a pistol back to Colt and have the SS installed.)

Best Regards,