Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Japanese public feels they were the victims in ww2,feel no remorse or shame

Quote Originally Posted by jmm03 View Post
    It was a similar situation at the "peace" museum in Hiroshima. All of the exhibits were slanted toward the American aggression and no responsibility on the Japanese side for anything. The park that is adjacent to the museum at ground zero was full of people playing games and picnicking, I would have thought it might have been a more somber place given the reason the memorial was there, I remember thinking it was odd at the time. I don't believe that we needed to invade Japan, we were well on the way to burning them back to the stone age and we probably could have starved them into submission, a cold observation I know, but the military faction was wanting to fight to the last man,and expending our guys by invading rather than cutting the island off just did not make sense, hence the bomb. Jim
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark in Ottawa View Post
    When I visited the museum at Nagasaki, it was really all about how horrible the Americans were to have used the bomb. Every month on the anniverary of the day of the bombing they hold a religious memorial ceremony. We happened to be there that day and ended up chatting with some very charming Japanese students aged about 16. My sense was that they knew little or nothing about the actions of the Japanese military. Selective teaching of history and selective memory
    in Berlin at the ruins of The Kaiser Wilhelm Memorial Church, they have a display of what the church looked like prior to WWII, next to the current ruins (that have been stabilized and are open to the public). i was there in 2003 and i was looking at the display when some lady glared at my Air Force hat and told her daughter that, "this is what the church looked like before the Americans bombed it for no good reason". i looked at her and replied, "to begin with it was destroyed in a night raid by the British not the Americans and if Germany hadnt started WWII, the Americans wouldnt have had to get involved and end it."

Quote Originally Posted by JB White View Post
    The Japanese people are victims of government orchestrated revisionist history. They were lied to throughout the war. To maintain face they were lied to after the war. No small wonder they feel as they do today.
    Pearl Harbor. Sometimes there are more Japanese tourists than Americans it seems. You can bet they don't leave there with the same impressions as we do.
    ive seen that several times in my trips to the Arizona Memorial. my dad was INCENSED the first time we went there, because they all were very loud and boisterous and he kept going on about "theyre all bragging about what their relatives did in 1941" oh i dont know if ive EVER seen my dad so riled up. a neighbor of ours was there (Hawaii) for a reunion (in the mid-80s) of his unit (1st Marine Division) who fought on Guadalcanal and was wounded and sent home on Peleliu. they were having dinner and a bunch of japanese business men came in and started talking about how crappy American manufacturing was and how the Americans were setting themselves up for a fall, and on and on. Good ol' Pete turned to them at their table and he said, "what you say may all be true, but Americans still make the best atom bombs". the japanese got up and walked out of the restaurant in mid-meal...

2. Default

No doubt that German lady was born long after the War, didn't experience the Berlin Blockade, perhaps she voted Left, or was ex-DDR and only knew what she was taught in school. There is that famous picture of Berlin Kinder standing standing on rubble piles watching as a US transport brings their dinner in. Chinese scholars in this country have found exchange students from the PRC are totally ignorant about their country's history.
    Look at how many Civil War battlefields have been built over ?
    Last edited by blackhawknj; 08-11-2020 at 10:11.

My coworker's father was in the army and a participant in the Bataan death march. He was forced to beat to death fallen comrades who collapsed over the head with a shovel during the march. He despised the Japanese till his dying day!
    Last edited by tmark; 08-11-2020 at 06:10.