Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Hey, that's true. Here's something else we can talk about that actually pertains to my M1917. I always see the same guy at various gun shows in Western PA selling Ballistol oil. Don't remember seeing it in stores, gun shops, etc. I saw him again last Sunday at a show and since there wasn't anything there that I was interested in buying (for about the 5th gun show in a row) I decided to give it a try. Turns out to be a non-petroleum plant based/mineral oil in a spray can that's supposed to clean and lubricate metal parts and enhance wood. You guys are probably familiar with this stuff, but I'm still feeling my way around. I lubed the bore and bolt, etc. on my M1917. Looked OK. I then rubbed some on the stock. I liked what it did to the stock. The wood appears to have absorbed the oil and brought up the grain's appearance. It was probably a lot dryer than I though it was. Good stuff.
    Last edited by Merc; 03-05-2017 at 04:39.

I have a gunsmith buddy who loves that stuff, he puts it on metal and wood. Supposedly its some German concoction dating back to WWII. Maybe before, I'm not sure I've got that story right.
    If I should die before I wake...great,a little more sleep.

Yep, that's true about the WW2 roots of this oil according to the literature this guy gave me. It says the oil is supposed to be good for cleaning smokeless and black powder residue from bores and on leather products as a preservative that keeps things from drying out. It should really be useful where you live. I just returned from spending 6 weeks visiting my elderly sister who lives in Cave Creek, AZ. The weather was dry while I was there but I guess the recent rains are making the washes there run violently.

I brought my M1917 Winchester with me on our vacation to Florida this year to go shooting with friends and relatives. Took my 99 year old rifle to the range today and had a great time. Surprised to see several other vintage rifles at the range including a rough looking M1 Garand. The owner appeared to be having trouble getting it to accept a full clip and was pushing and pounding away on it with his fists. Also saw a M1903 that looked pretty good and was functioning just fine. The old war horses drew lots of attention. Several spectators were there just walking around looking at the vintage hardware and waiting for more to arrive.

Folks get overly excited about rain around here. Now thirty years ago it did get a might rainy. _DSC0384.jpg A pallet that got washed down from who-knows-where. Back on subject-
    I just bought my first 03 a few months ago. It may have to do with my sixty plus eyes, but I can't use that touchy five-way rear sight. I take the M-17 out whenever I go out. Like my old 03/a3 it has a simple sight that works for me. My rifle is a Canadian/Danish with the roll pin front sight, that works for me too. My rifle has some great figure in the stock, kind of like the one that is pictured on page seven of this thread.
    _DSC0749.jpg
    Last edited by dryheat; 02-24-2017 at 04:43.
    If I should die before I wake...great,a little more sleep.

The rear sight on a M1903 was redesigned to somewhat resemble the M1917 rear sight for the 03A3. I can shoot my 1943 03A3, the M1917 and the 1944 LE No. 4 Mk 1* about as accurately as possible with open sights that are placed to the rear of the action. I've not shot a M1903 yet but I do own and shoot a 1937 M1916 7 mm Spanish Mauser that also has a long eye relief rear sight. I don't do as well with the Mauser but I'm not sure that I can blame it on the rear sight.

The stock in the photo of your M1917 looks like it has a tiger stripe wood grain pattern. My 03A3 has a similar pattern. Believe it's walnut.

I'll be leaving for Cave Creek tomorrow morning.

I run a long range shooting club called NM MILSURPS. I was a BUDS Instructor for the Navy and started my club to pass on what I learned over the years.
    We set up an AR500 steel target at 800 yards and have two classes of rifles. Open sights and original Scope rifles.
    My favorite US made rifle is the M1917 and with my hand loads of pulled M-118 175 grain bullets I won the last match in August of '16. The M1917 has one of the best sighting system of any of the old WWI rifles and it a true riflemans rifle. The match was 20 rounds in 15 minutes. Weather was perfect,calm air and sun at 3 o'clock.
    After three sighters I went for score.
    A club member and active duty Marine borrowed my rifle and ammo so he could shoot it as well. He took 2ND place. Truly a day to remember.

There's lots to like about the M1917. I also like the sight system and I set the ladder at the lowest possible setting for 100 yards. It's also my favorite shooter. I haven't tried anything over 100 yards but I do well at that distance. The next step at my range is 150 yards but nothing at 200 yards.

Like a lot of M1917s, my Winchester turns 100 years old this year (on November 15th). It's still my overall favorite and I probably prefer shooting it because of it's accuracy with open iron sights and how well it handles. It's hard to believe that military rifles of that era were so well made. I took it to the range yesterday and had a great time. Nothing special, just me and my antique rifle consistently hitting targets at a distance of 100 yards that I can barely see. My son-in-law bought me a spotting scope for Christmas that comes in handy.
    Last edited by Merc; 05-10-2017 at 04:16.

Depending on temperatures and conditions my choices on military match rifles are between my 1917 Remington with HS barrel or Smith Corona 03A3 in a C stock. The colder days the SC likes light bullets and on the warmer days the 1917 with 168 or 175 works well. The unmarked targets are 1st round and composite from Novembers match with the SC.
    1st rd.jpg30shots.jpg1917 tgt.jpg1917 trophy.jpgsmith corona.jpg