Thread: 1866 Allin Conversion

Hybrid View

Can one tell the difference between a bannerman made rifle or a well assembled bubba rifle? Is there any markings on bannerman made rifles that would tell you it was made by bannerman? I dont think so. If I am not mistaken bannerman was in the business of scraping metal and happened to obtain large amounts of military surplus that was supposed to be scraped/melted but parts where reassembled into full rifles etc. If bubba would of done the same thing would there be known bubba made rifles? others on this site with serial number history and info may help.

Quote Originally Posted by mr.j View Post
    Can one tell the difference between a bannerman made rifle or a well assembled bubba rifle? Is there any markings on bannerman made rifles that would tell you it was made by bannerman? I dont think so. If I am not mistaken bannerman was in the business of scraping metal and happened to obtain large amounts of military surplus that was supposed to be scraped/melted but parts where reassembled into full rifles etc. If bubba would of done the same thing would there be known bubba made rifles? others on this site with serial number history and info may help.
    Aside from the fact that MANY such arms have 1883 or 1884 dated lockplates, I know of no other markings.

3. Default

Thanks for the replies. After reading "The Book", I was reasonably certain it was not a 1866 Short rifle. It is a shooter and I enjoy it. It looks like a 1950's vintage "I will polish and blue any rifle for 19.95" Earl Schrieb job. Screw heads rounded from over-zealous use of the buffing wheel. And is shoots well.