Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default

I have been lucky I guess over the last 5 years or so I located about 20 odd boxes of Norma 7.7 and 6.5 at no more than $20 per box. Given its probably from the 60's or 70's but I am a lot older than that

Cabelas online has a lot of stuff listed they don't actually have. They're not the only place that does that though. Their web site doesn't list any 7.7 Jap ammo.
    Midway lists Norma and Prvi 6.5 and 7.7 Jap. The Prvi stuff being brass only and currently on back order.
    Spelling and grammar count!

Quote Originally Posted by DRAGONFLYDF View Post
    If you can't find brass, just form it out of 30/06 brass. Take the capping pin out of the die, lube up the case and run it into the sizing die, trim to length.
    Am I remembering wrongly, but is that not one of the classic "do NOT do" recommendations from years back when a lot of bringbacks were being shot by GIs, and before proper ammo was available? Or, was that simply an old wive's tale even at the time?

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Hosmer View Post
    Am I remembering wrongly, but is that not one of the classic "do NOT do" recommendations from years back when a lot of bringbacks were being shot by GIs, and before proper ammo was available? Or, was that simply an old wive's tale even at the time?
    Way back, when dirt was young, and commercial 7.7 Jap was unavailable, I formed it from U.S., GI brass.
    When fired, it formed the bulge just in front of the rim.
    Much later, when commercial stuff was available, I tried some in the same rifle.
    The very same bulge was there!
    Fast forward to today . . . .
    My reformed GI brass has OUTLASTED the more modern, commercial stuff!
    Last edited by JimF; 11-15-2017 at 12:17.

Quote Originally Posted by JimF View Post
    Fast forward to today . . . .
    My reformed GI brass has OUTLASTED the more modern, commercial stuff!
    Yup, the old stuff are always much tougher than the modern ones.

Re: Reformed brass. One thought. Load as normal for forming load. Wrap a turn or two of cellophane tape around the brass just above the rim. Fire as normal. IIRC, that was supposed to prevent any blow outs. Maybe. Have fired a lot of handloads in old military rifles with "generous" chamber dimensions. Never had a blow out. Don't want one. HTH. Sincerely. bruce.
    " Unlike most conservatives, libs have no problem exploiting dead children and dancing on their graves."

Quote Originally Posted by bruce View Post
    Re: Reformed brass. One thought. Load as normal for forming load. Wrap a turn or two of cellophane tape around the brass just above the rim. Fire as normal. IIRC, that was supposed to prevent any blow outs. Maybe. Have fired a lot of handloads in old military rifles with "generous" chamber dimensions. Never had a blow out. Don't want one. HTH. Sincerely. bruce.
    Theory I suppose is to limit the opportunity for case expansion and rupture. Not the sort of thing I'd want to risk a collectable Arisaka rifle on.

Sometimes you get lucky, I was at the range last Sunday, and as usual I was scrounging through the brass bucket. Usually nothing but .223 and steel case 7.62X39 and the 7.62X54R but sometimes I get lucky and find 30-30 someone has discarded. This time I thought I saw some 30-06 but looking at the headstamp it was Norma 7.7 Jap. I couldn't believe it,40 rounds. I immediately went over to the trash can and there at the bottom were the two boxes with a price tag of $48.99 a box. SCORE!!! I felt like a kid a Christmas. I wish I had some of the money people throw away.

Awesome find!!! Wish I could get lucky like that....
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo