Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast
  1. Default

I would like to hear about your project - send me an email with your phone number and I will call you.

Jim
    Last edited by Marine A5 Sniper Rifle; 11-19-2011 at 04:17.

2. Default Pic of harry Selby's Original 416 Rigby

I found a picture of Harry Selby's original Rigby built 416 Rigby in AR. This is the original Selby rifle built on a standard length 98 Mauser action. Comparing mine to his original, some features of mine I prefer, but his has all the glory.

Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images

both are damm nice rifles Jimmy, glad you shared building it with us........now I need a pix of it leaning against an old Dugga boy, with you smiling from ear to ear,behind him.
    be safe, enjoy life, journey well
    da gimp
    OFC, Mo. Chapter

4. Default

Marine A5 Sniper. Thank you for taking the time to publish this comprehensive post. I am envious of your skill and knowledge. I have always wanted a .416 on a standard Mauser 98 action. Most factory .416 Rigby loads are 3.625" OAL or less and fit in the mag of my FN Browning Safari .375 H&H.
    I would like to build a rifle with a 3.625 mag ( a full 1/8" shorter than the 3.75 British specs, 3.72 + clearance) . My .375 has the rear wall of the mag thinned out. Removing the full thickness of this wall ( as you did) would allow for even less metal removal from the feed ramp. A stronger bottom recoil lug shoulder and the lower ( than H&H) cartridge pressure of .416 Rigby factory loads or equivalent handloads would make me feel more comfortable. I will try to have one built.
    How did you time the barrel ? How did you adjust headspace? Could the .050 spacer have been made the same diameter as the barrel instead of receiver? Are you confident that the barrel threads have sufficient contact?
    Any chance you would share your rust blue secret? Thanks again. You can be proud of Rosey.
    Last edited by NorthernHunter; 04-14-2013 at 02:00.

Marine,

Go for it! I will enjoy watching your progress.

Hagar

Marine,

I hope that you're still with us and got your Cape Buff hunt in!

I didn't look at the date on your post and assumed that it was current. I've just finished reading through your entire series of posts and am extremely impressed with your machining, woodworking and problem-solving skills!!! I learned a great deal just in the hour or so of reading your posts and have emerged with a new resolve to take my rust bluing skills to acceptable levels.

Thank you very much for taking the massive amount of time needed for the photography and writing needed to document your work. You are a gifted writer with a great sense of humor.

I sure hope that you got your "bucket list" hunt in. If you did, I'm positive that your rifle performed brilliantly. What a joy to hold that rifle and have all the memories of the monumental "build" run through your mind.

Your admirer,

Hagar

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernHunter View Post
    Marine A5 Sniper. How did you time the barrel ?
    Very slowly with a small mill bastard file.

How did you adjust headspace?
    I got very lucky as the headspace was spot on the first try.

Could the .050 spacer have been made the same diameter as the barrel instead of receiver?
    Absolutely, and I wish I had done so now for aesthetic reasons.

Are you confident that the barrel threads have sufficient contact?
    Yes, more than sufficient for the job, and maybe more than a standard match. This rifle has had a lot of rounds through it now, as everyone wants to fire it at least once.

Any chance you would share your rust blue secret?
    What? I can't hear you. Did you say something? Seriously, I got the idea from how A. O. Neidner did his jobs.

jt
    Last edited by Marine A5 Sniper Rifle; 06-01-2013 at 03:31.

Jim - An excellent read, and nice rifle, to say the least! I am indeed, jealous of your skills! Thank-you for making the six pack, I just drank while reading the entire thread, such an enjoyment.

You've given me a well needed kick in the ass, to dabble with rust bluing.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike D; 05-31-2013 at 09:06.

9. Default

Thanks, Mike. I missed your post at the time. I have put 117 rounds through it to date, and all I can say is, it is a bear to shoot from the bench. I have yet to checker it, sadly. It is very accurate, but by the time you get to shot number 4, you are lucky if you can hit the backboard due to flinching. I usually shoot cast handloads due to cost of factory solid rounds ($110/20), but I blast a solid through it on occasion. The factory rounds have way more oomph than my handloads. It is one of my favorites now. If you want to have fun, grab a handfull of 416 Rigby.

Jim

10. Default

My old buddy, Gimp, is currently in bad shape. Gimp contributed a lot to this project, and to honor him as best I know how, I am changing the name of this rifle from "Rosey" to "The Gimp". Hang on Gimp. The world wouldn't be the same without you, your wit, and your knowledge. I hope someday to be as tough a man as you.

Jim