Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Sniper Rifles

1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by JWM View Post
    Fabulous! (From this to the M.54, with it's BB gun trigger guard?)

2. Default

Did anyone else notice the changes in the listing for that scope case?

3. Default

James, don't do this. Take a very close look at the markings around the patent dates! This is a British issued A5 scope - and I'm pretty sure it were the Brits too, who reblued the scope. Hence my interest in it.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by JWM View Post
    JRice79 - Magnificent collection you have there! Congratulations!

James
    Thank you James.

5. Default

I've been keeping up with everyone's posts. I have not personally read any of the documents referenced nor would I know where to find them to do my on research. I do hope someone writes a book one day.

Million dollar question, do I have an authentic USMC sniper rifle or was it more likely an ammo testing rifle returned to the military in 1919? I'm going to pull the rifle out this weekend if there are any specific requests for pictures?

Jon

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Promo View Post
    Take a very close look at the markings around the patent dates! This is a British issued A5 scope - and I'm pretty sure it were the Brits too, who reblued the scope.
    You're referring to the 1910 patent date? I've seen this before, without understanding the reason for it, as the front mounts which bear it are no different from the ones with only the 1907 date. Do you know what the 1910 date refers to, or why it would have been applied only to export A5s ?

Quote Originally Posted by JRice79 View Post
    I've been keeping up with everyone's posts. I have not personally read any of the documents referenced nor would I know where to find them to do my on research. I do hope someone writes a book one day.

Million dollar question, do I have an authentic USMC sniper rifle or was it more likely an ammo testing rifle returned to the military in 1919? I'm going to pull the rifle out this weekend if there are any specific requests for pictures?

Jon
    Jon,

I hope my posts didn't discourage you. Others may be able to comment of to whether or not your rifle is a sniper rifle. I'm sure the consensus will be it's a genuine sniper rifle, however I am not the one to make that statement.

The data collected from the 1919 WRA documents are more neutral to your rifle being a genuine sniper rifle.

They do not make it more or less likely to be a sniper rifle. They also don't make it more likely to be used for ammo testing. Only the rifles contained within that list were used for that particular ammunition test. Perhaps there were more, but that wasn't stated in the correspondence.

Although, I can't state it definitively, I'm sure there are sniper rifles that exist around those serial numbers, I wouldn't doubt there are however, it would be more of coincidence since there's nothing linking the two together.

I was just merely stating that the WRA 1919 rifles mentioned above were not sniper rifles in March 1919. I don't think it hurts or helps your case, your rifle is just a sniper rifle that exists around rifles used for ammunition testing. That's what I meant the WRA 1919 rifles being neutral to your rifle's case.

You have a wonderful collection thanks so much for sharing!
    Andrew

Jon,

From what I have seen, I'm in the camp that a lot of the info you see in books or online on the Marine A5 snipers, is not correct. It seems most of the known info in books and online today, seems to be based more off traits of rifles that are labeled as real by a expert, and not so much on the actual written documentation or pictures from back then. Reading the documents from back then and seeing what is written today, a lot honestly contradicts each other.

But if I say more it will just lead to a fight. But if you want to know my opinions of it, I would be more than happy to talk offline.

9. Default

Jon,

while the serial number of your rifle is in a block of rifles shipped to Winchester, it's good that your rifles serial is not among them - because that would had ment by 1919 it was NOT a sniper rifle. But it doesn't exclude it from possibly being one, so a good factor!

When taking pictures of it, please make pictures of both the front and the rear scope base, the barrel markings and the bolt of the rifle. And anything that is unusual compared to other 1903s.

Edit: Clintonhater, you need to look closer. There is a broad arrow and crown marking right next to the markings on the scope rings. Broad arrow is left, other side is crown. Not very well stamped, but that is commonly found for the British.
    Last edited by Promo; 10-28-2016 at 09:03.

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by cplnorton View Post
    Jon,

From what I have seen, I'm in the camp that a lot of the info you see in books or online on the Marine A5 snipers, is not correct.
    Not many subjects to which that statement doesn't apply. Online is bad enough, but worse harm is done when misleading or incomplete
    data is set down in black & white, because then it tends to be accepted uncritically.