Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 278910111213 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Merc View Post
    The retirement gift watches cased in gold were often placed in drawers and only worn for special occasions (if at all) and are therefore in mostly “as new” condition. The inscription is interesting and adds to the story of the watch. Thanks for posting. I’m not familiar with the manufacturer. Is it Swiss?
    The maker of the movement, Agassiz, was a well-known (to the trade) Swiss watch manufacturer who made watch movements for a number of high-end retailers. Tiffany, Patek-Phillipe, and Cartier all sold watches made by Agassiz.
    Tickets, Please!

Quote Originally Posted by Conductor View Post
    The maker of the movement, Agassiz, was a well-known (to the trade) Swiss watch manufacturer who made watch movements for a number of high-end retailers. Tiffany, Patek-Phillipe, and Cartier all sold watches made by Agassiz.
    Learned something new. Thanks.

3. Default

Hi Lyman
    Were you ever able to open the pictures?
    Try thus link:
    https://pocketwatchdatabase.com/sear...ult/ball/28400
    Look down in the lower left corner and you will see a description of the Ball Watch. Copy the urls shown and paste them into your address line add try open them . Perhaps our brwser will not let you open them. I use both MS Exporer and Opera

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cosine26 View Post
    Hi Lyman
    Were you ever able to open the pictures?
    Try thus link:
    https://pocketwatchdatabase.com/sear...ult/ball/28400
    Look down in the lower left corner and you will see a description of the Ball Watch. Copy the urls shown and paste them into your address line add try open them . Perhaps our brwser will not let you open them. I use both MS Exporer and Opera
    absolutely,

was just trying to have them show up for other members here that may not trust or want to click the link,

I run Chrome, so no issues

5. Default

This was my father’s watch. It is a 23 Jewel, Waltham Vanguard. The 1920’s were not good times for all. My father operated a hardware store and this man came in and needed money. My father lent him either $5 or $10 and held the watch as collateral. The man never returned so my father had a watch. He carried this watch until he passed in 1954 and inherited it from him. This was a working watch so it has some case wear. In the days before WWI, wrist watches were considered “sissy”. I do not believe that my father ever wore a wrist watch until he served with AEF in WWI.
    I have just had the watch cleaned and a new main spring stalled. If you click on the picture it will grow larger-at least it does for me.
    16 size
    S/N 220530076
    Open Face
    Lever set
    Adj for temp
    Adj 5 pos
    RR Grade
    Montgomery Dial
    https://imgur.com/thitx6B
    Last edited by Cosine26; 02-13-2020 at 11:15.

6. Default

Nav Watch
    When I was a navigator/bombardier in the USAF , I was issued two watches. One was a wrist watch called a “hack” watch for non precise navigation = ded reckoning. This could be reset in flight from the “master” watch

The other was a “master” watch”. It was encased in a MU metal container with a covered viewing window and used for celestial navigation. In determining longitude it was necessary to know the exact GMT (Greenwich Mean Time). A rule of thumb said that a 4 second error inn time equaled a mile in error.

Here is the data stamped on the rear of the case:
    AN 5740
    Hamilton 4992B
    22 jewel
    Stem set (and could be hacked form the chronometer in Base Ops)(Obviously not RR Grade)
    ADJ Temp 6 ps
    S/N AF42-30852 on case- movement was not serialized
    Contract No W535 ac 28072
    s/N 42-30852 ( No serial number on movement)
    It has a 24 hour dial
    https://imgur.com/TDbxCH1
    Last edited by Cosine26; 02-13-2020 at 02:37.

Quote Originally Posted by Conductor View Post
    Auguste Agassiz was the founder of the Longines Watch Co. That bit of information ties it all together. It’s probably not rare to see Agassiz’s name on a watch dial, but not common either.

My 1943 Elgin 8 Day Military Aircraft Dashboard Clock has been running continuously for the past week if I wind it every day.

1FB85FB8-AA37-434A-B8E3-5858EF10DDC0.jpg

I’ve been searching the internet trying to see if I could determine what type of aircraft would have had this clock installed in its dashboard but
    I haven’t had any luck.

9. Default

Hi Merc
    That is quite a common USAF and USAAF item and was found in many different types of aircraft. I was a comm officer in a F84 squadron and flew B26's in Korea and B29's and B47's in SAC during the 1950's. I have flown other USAF aircraft and most all were equipped with this type of clock. It was very susceptible to theft and most crew chiefs had to keep an eye on them.
    FWIW

10. Default

Last edited by Cosine26; 02-21-2020 at 11:31.