Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Confuddling T99

My Nagoya Series 7 has the grooved safety, machined cylindrical bolt knob, short ladder (no wing) rear sight, front sight guards (short), metal butt plate, and is marked Type 99. The Mum is ground. There is no mistaking the series mark on it! Unfortunately, the stock was sported so the bands and sling swivels are missing. I believe that Series 7 is NOT last ditch. Didn't Nagoya produce Type 99 rifles up to series 12?

In case you're wondering about some of the things we are talking about, Jan 42, check this link which is for a Type 99 data sheet:
    http://www.gunboards.com/sites/banza...a.htm#Model_99
    Last edited by psteinmayer; 05-11-2014 at 06:46. Reason: Added Link
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo

2. Default

Front sight- guards or no? : FULL GUARD, HEAVY STAKE TO BOTH SIDES OF SIGHT DOVETAIL

Front band-2screw SERIES 5, NOT SERIES 7 : 2 LARGE SCREWS ONLY

short cleaning rod with round "button"- SERIES 5: FULL CYLINDRICAL FERRULE,NO WORKING PARTS, JUST A NUT FOR THE 5" SHORT ROD

Handguard-full length upper handguard or short handguard? : LONG, FULL LENGTH

middle band- non monopod and welded SERIES 5 : CORRECT, WELDED, NO MONOPOD NOR REMNANTS OF SAME

Rear sight-has mounts for AA sight or is ladder with no provision for wings? : LADDER SIGHT WITH NO PROVISION FOR aa WINGS - NOT EVEN EMPTY SLOTS

Bolt-matching numbers including safety knob? handle is plumb shaped or cylindrical? : PLUM SHAPE HANDLE, FIRING PIN AND HANDLE MATCH, SAFETY DOES NOT

Small recoil lug-NOT SERIES 7: CORRECT

Receiver marked with Type99- NOT SERIES 7: CORRECT

Buttstock has 2 screw or one screw sling point? : 2 SCREW

3. Default

Some additional pictures
    Attached Images Attached Images

4. Default

A few more, including bayonet.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have to agree... Series 6.
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo

Quote Originally Posted by psteinmayer View Post
    I believe that Series 7 is NOT last ditch. Didn't Nagoya produce Type 99 rifles up to series 12?
    You are mostly half right. Series 7 saw some serious changes during the run. Early to middle Series 7 are considered transitional rifles while late series 7 have many last ditch features.

They did produce several more series. They did not produce series 9 but off the top of my head I think they did make 10, 11 and 12.

Series 8, 10-12 are really rough including the rifles with a hole drilled through the butt for a rope sling.
    I own firearms not to fight against my government, but to ensure I will not have to.

Also, there is "last ditch" by Honeycutts book which is the Naval Cast iron receiver model, and collector "last ditch" which is any of the rifles missing all of the early features.
    I own firearms not to fight against my government, but to ensure I will not have to.

That would explain why my Series 7 is not a 'Last Ditch"... I didn't know that the later were. I've seen an 8, and rough? oh yeah, LOL.

Late 7 was almost identical to 8. This is also why I do not collect based on series. There are hundreds of variations most of which aren't very interesting. I have most of the variations covered with just a few rifles. Still looking for the rope sling rifle for a fair price. I've only seen one and I wasn't excited about the price.

10. Default

Thanks for the assist guys.

Approx what year of production? '44?