Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: SRS Check Request 1896 Krag Carbine R. Rider? 32809

I believe the chances of Dirk originally being on any given deck is 1 in 3. What happened to the other 13 lifeboats? Do we assume that all lifeboats were filled, not caring from which deck? If any of them sank, was Dirk lost? Since Dirk was apparently not on either of the two boats mentioned, then there would be a 1/15 chance of him having been on A, and a 1/25 chance of him having been on either B or C.

Apparently, amateur pyschiatry does not count as highjacking? Methinks the pot doth attempt to blacken the kettle.

I did slip and break my self-imposed rule about no longer giving the association of the "close" (a term which begs definition) number, as it is - as you say - entirely meaningless.

Let's get back to Krags. How is the book coming?

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Hosmer View Post
    I believe the chances of Dirk originally being on any given deck is 1 in 3. What happened to the other 13 lifeboats? Do we assume that all lifeboats were filled, not caring from which deck? If any of them sank, was Dirk lost? Since Dirk was apparently not on either of the two boats mentioned, then there would be a 1/15 chance of him having been on A, and a 1/25 chance of him having been on either B or C.
    That's really bad math.

5 lifeboats per deck. Three decks. We've eliminated two boats from deck A with Dirk not being on them. Ratio of remaining boats, per deck, is 3/5/5. Chances for decks B and C are better than A. Having two boats, with negative results, for deck A reduces chances for that deck.

Apparently, amateur pyschiatry does not count as highjacking?
    What's amatuer about it? Mind you I threadjacked it back on topic.

Methinks the pot doth attempt to blacken the kettle.
    That statement is always bi-directional. Think about that and you'll chuckle.

I did slip and break my self-imposed rule about no longer giving the association of the "close" (a term which begs definition) number, as it is - as you say - entirely meaningless.
    No, not meaningless. As diagrammed it simply reduces the chances for that unit.

Let's get back to Krags. How is the book coming?
    After all that you want me to threadjack OP? No.

OP should post pictures of 32809. Then we'll know if "R. Rider" in his post refers to a certain OALW as that term too often does.
    Last edited by 5MadFarmers; 10-13-2014 at 02:14.

Not bad math at all. The question posed was which deck had he been on, NOT which lifeboat he might or might not be on, after the sinking. Apparently you presume that the lifeboat loading was orderly? What if it was not? Perhaps Dirk was off dallying with Penelope, or worse, Lorenzo (or perhaps both). Possibly - since you introduced masturbation to the discussion - he was in the hold dallying with himself? The fact that you now have some knowledge of A does not change the original odds.

For the OP to say that 32809 is in the middle of the Rough Rider range is flawed in any event - given one pronounced clot in the 20s and one in the 60/70s. True in the literal sense, but requires the incorrect assumption that the entire run was a possibility.

Yes, I chuckled, and you ducked - how is the book coming? This thread has been jacked so many times it should be off.

I haven't recorded the numbers of any OALW (fakes assembled by the Ostberg Armory and Locomotive Works - yes the guy dicked-over toy trains, too) guns, for those not in on the secret.

Golly this is fun.

I'd like to see pictures of "k98sniper's" Model 1896 carbine.

Quote Originally Posted by butlersrangers View Post
    I'd like to see pictures of "k98sniper's" Model 1896 carbine.
    What a refreshing suggestion, to say nothing of getting away from the not unrelated topics of psychiatry and masturbation.

Shooter5 Guest

Buffalo soldiers were stationed at Ft Buford when Tatanta Iyotanka (Sitting Bull) surrendered, 10th and 25th IIRC?

http://history.nd.gov/historicsites/buford/

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Hosmer View Post
    Not bad math at all. The question posed was which deck had he been on, NOT which lifeboat he might or might not be on, after the sinking. Apparently you presume that the lifeboat loading was orderly? What if it was not? Perhaps Dirk was off dallying with Penelope, or worse, Lorenzo (or perhaps both). Possibly - since you introduced masturbation to the discussion - he was in the hold dallying with himself? The fact that you now have some knowledge of A does not change the original odds.
    Ok, we'll do it the other way. The following is a list of guns in the 10th Cav:
    32827, Y, Z.
    The following is a list in the 42nd Cav:
    A, B, C.
    The following is a list in the 43rd:
    E, F, G.

OP has 32,809. It's one of the "unknowns" above. That leaves:
    10th: Y and Z.
    42nd: A,B, and C.
    43rd: E,F, and G.

Now tell me what I'm missing? The fact that we know which unit 32,827 was in decreases the odds for the 10th Cavalry. Odds are higher, by a third, for the 42nd or 43rd. And that is where I think the confusion comes in.
    Odds are 1/3 higher for the 42nd over the 10th - not overall.
    Odds are 1/3 higher for the 43rd over the 10th - not overall.

I think that is where the confusion came in. Odds of it being in the other units individually versus overall. The "percent" is really not relevant. The odds of it being in the 10th are lower than for any unit for which records do not exist at all.

For the OP to say that 32809 is in the middle of the Rough Rider range is flawed in any event - given one pronounced clot in the 20s and one in the 60/70s. True in the literal sense, but requires the incorrect assumption that the entire run was a possibility.
    Aw, when you saw "R. Rider" you translated R. to "rough." I translated to "red." As in those OALW guns.

Yes, I chuckled, and you ducked - how is the book coming? This thread has been jacked so many times it should be off.
    No, somebody else jacked something over at KCA so many times it should be off.

I haven't recorded the numbers of any OALW (fakes assembled by the Ostberg Armory and Locomotive Works - yes the guy dicked-over toy trains, too) guns, for those not in on the secret.
    I have. There are more than expected as there is more to the story. The dude was actually quite bright. Found his patent. Did his life story. Was curious. His mom left behind quite the saga in print. That was an off brand of trains wasn't it. Little steam trains. Sounds like they'd be fun.

Golly this is fun.
    No, not really. I quit even looking at the KCA due to that troll. Out of an audience over there it persists in coming here. Even though it's not wanted. That's typical for board trolls.

So I'll answer the question on the book.
    The 1899 came in two pieces. Shipping booboo.

The earliest encountered 1896 carbine, earlier than that one you had, I was just cheated out of. No other term for that. Sold by an auction house to a local buyer for less, considerably, than I bid. I know they were taking my bids as I won another gun. While the smoke has settled on that gun being gone it hasn't on what that auction house did.

But. But those are just guns. In the grand scheme of things they're just guns. Life goes on.

I took this week off to finish that damned book. Why "damned?" Because I intended to finish it last year. I have other stuff I'd rather do at this point. A lot of other stuff. Like the massive WW2 uniform grid I've been working on for a couple of years. It's about two weeks away from done. It has been for some time... "Yeah, but this time it's coming out right." That it is, that it is.

So yesterday I drove up to see the Nephew off to the sandbox. Drove back this morning. Today it's get over car woozy. Tomorrow it's Krags. Solid for a week. However far I get is however far it's going. Full stop next Sunday. Then push it out the door as is. "It'll be missing much then." Seems likely. "Don't care." Nope. Not at all. That book was for PH. Peripheral stuff, that which isn't covered in the book, will be in the other books. Those I'll spend more time on. Have to - they're all interconnected. Thus no choice. Krags are another story. Don't really fit with that other stuff anyway.

So the book will be done Sunday. Then to the printer. Then people can buy it. Or not. Really I don't care. It's not a money thing for me at this point and hasn't been for some time.

I guess that trolling one could be considered "performance art." Not much different from Robert Mapplethorpe.

Not a fan. If people want information on Krags they can buy the book. That or email me. Board troll persists in trolling here. He'll start masterbating here again. It's inevitable. So I'll stop posting here too. Stopped at the KCA outright. Stopping here outright also.

No great loss for me. I'm knee deep in WW2 uniforms and field gear right now. WW1 is next. Don't need to focus on guns at all. I lose nothing by not posting here any longer.

Cheers.

Default Krag Carbine Pics

I've never tried this...but I'll have a cup of coffee or 2 and give it a shot tomorrow sometime.
    Wish me luck, gentlemen.

Since it creates distraction, I will refrain from posting on the 'Krag' page. I do look forward to 'thek98snipers' pictures. Good luck Sirs!
    Last edited by butlersrangers; 10-13-2014 at 06:45.