Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default CMP bayonet: New or Used?

A visit to the South Store today produced this M5A1 bayonet. The scabbard is marked "USM8A1" & "PWH". The bayonet is marked "U.S.M5A1" and "MIL PAR COL".

The blade & handle appear perfect; the scabbard has a few wear marks but is intact. So, are they used or new? Did I get a "better than advertised" used on or did I foolishly spend $15 more than needed?
    IMG_1450..JPGIMG_1451..JPGIMG_1452..JPGIMG_1453..JPGIMG_1455..JPG

http://www.thecmp.org/accessories.htm
    We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target of opportunity?

- Maj. Kong

According to the CMP website the new ones are "GARAND BAYONET M5A1 w/M8A1 SCABBARD - New -unissued - excellent condition (bayonet and scabbard). Price $60 each plus S&H." The one pictured shows no wear around the snap and has a leather thong. I guess the questions is, are you happy with your bayonet? If you're happy then you spent the right amount.
    Bob - Southern Indiana Chapter OFC

Very satisfied - it's a Used bayonet.
    We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target of opportunity?

- Maj. Kong

4. Default

Kirk - Does your bayonet have a DAS stamp??

http://www.thecmp.org/forums/showthread.php?t=20146

Using a penlight and a magnifying glass, and almost standing on my head, I did finally find a very faint DA on mine and I've had it for 25 years or more. On Mike's link it does say that towards the end of manufacture they MAY have quit using the stamp so it all seems to be a moot point.
    Bob - Southern Indiana Chapter OFC

No DAS stamp I can see, even with a magnifying glass. I don't believe, as others have said, that mine was refinished over pitting. I can't see any pitting nor do I see any grinding or wire wheel marks; all surfaces are smooth & pristine.

- Maj. Kong

I have viewed the thread here and on the CMP forum that the link shows on these bayonets. I emailed Orest some time back about these, and he freely admitted that he, and probably no one else there, knew much about bayonets. They have volunteers sorting these into new and used, and I don't think they know too much either. I was invited to come to Anniston and spend some time helping out, and if it were not for my financial resources being quite limited, I probably would have done so. From what I have seen in the posted photos, I am somewhat surprised to see that the bayonets do not appear to be US issue. The MILPAR COL bayonets are somewhat suspect simply because many (probably thousands) of them were commercially sold and did not meet military specifications. These came from Greece (no question) so the questions is: 1. Were these sold or given to Greece by the US military? 2. Were at least some purchased by Greece from US commercial sources? 3. If they were supplied by the US military, were they from US stocks, or purchased on Military Aid contracts and not intended for US issue?

My listing of some bayonets and scabbards supplied by the US to various foreign countries (http://www.usmilitaryknives.com/bayo_points_26.htm) shows that 17, 538 M5A1 bayonets were supplied to Greece in 1963 and there may have been other shipments that I have not located. These are listed as being source K, which indicates they were to be furnished from existing stocks.

I would really like to be able to look at these bayonets. Both in the photos I have seen have the wrong runout (backcut). The scabbard does appear to be a standard US issue item.

Added info, Orest posted the markings on the packing material the new bayonets and scabbards came in.

Quote:
    The box of bayonets has the following information on the label:
    30 each
    C/C 12/76
    DAAA09-76-C-6658
    CU. .77 WT. 25
    The box is stenciled 1005-00-336-8568
    I do know DAAA09 was the designation for the US Army Armamments Command back then. There were 30 bayonets in the carton. The "76" is the year of the contract.

The scabbards came two to a MIL-B-117 pack and the bag is labeled:
    1095-508-0339
    Scabbard, Bayonet Knife, M8A1
    2 Ea.
    DAAF01-69-F-8756
    A/ 10//69
    :quote end
    These bayonets are very late date. very interesting
    Last edited by milsurpman; 07-09-2010 at 07:57.

9. Default

Quick check, the grind on the blade should be verticle not at an angle towards the handle.

Default M5A1 guard & grind

Below are pictures of the guard where the DSA stamp is supposed to be and the grind marks on the blade. The grind marks are straight down. I can post pics of other features if you wish.

IMG_1460..JPGIMG_1461..JPGIMG_1462..JPGIMG_1463..JPG

- Maj. Kong