Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Hmmm - that's odd. Not that the rifle is a sporter but that it doesn't show in the 4 main SRS books? I thought that Frank had included the arms from his earlier effort. Either a wrong assumption or he missed it. Anyhow, good for you - they are great rifles.

2. Default

Not mine, Dick - I'm just watching it at auction. Maybe, but will probably go for bigger bucks than I'm willing to pony up.

DeWayne
    Last edited by DeWayne Hayes; 05-20-2024 at 08:41.

D.C.M. Rifle Sales- 1922-1945 was published in 1976, several years before the first of the four main books (1983) were published. I have not checked as yet but #1 thru # 4 may very well be a continuation of the original summary. With the exception of #1366513 and #1367126 this block of NRA Sporters runs consecutively from #1366457 to #1367979. I am certain #1367116 will letter.
    J.J.

Springfield Armory M1903 S/N 1367116 is listed in SRS as a Sporter which was sold on 17 June 1932 to E.V. Uzes. No address is given.

J.B.

5. Default

Thanks, gents. It was interesting. The seller listing this on Gunbroker is a gun store in Wyoming. They only had 7 feedbacks, which I suspect may have spooked some potential buyers, but I checked them out and spoke with the sales guy and they seem legit. The rifle truly appears to be unfired and presents as pristine, with cosmoline in all the nooks and crannies. Yet, when the bidding ended only one gentleman had bid, and then I came in and bid twice, never meeting the reserve price - my highest bid was at $2,600.

The gun store tells me their customer who was listing it on consignment hasn't decided if he'll resist or not, and was surprised at the lack of apparent interest. I was too, to be honest. They did tell me they'll let me know if he decides to re-list.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1049658526

Link to the closed auction if anyone is interested.
    Last edited by DeWayne Hayes; 05-28-2024 at 09:41.

Mine is not mint in the grease, and certainly not unfired, but I would be unlikely to consider anything less than $2500 were it for sale, which it isn't.

7. Default

Yes, I was more than willing to go well over $3k, which seems like a very fair price for what this is - my guess is it's worth more like $5-6k ... but I was a taken aback by the fact that no one else was bidding and it made me question myself if there was something obvious that I was missing.

I think it was just a factor of the right people weren't looking at it, and the lack of feedback for the seller spooked whomever actually was looking. Strange circumstance. I think the owner would probably be better off actually listing this one with a real auction house, not online. Just my notion.

8. Default

Mine letters as:

"Rifle, U.S. Caliber .30, Sporting Model (fitted with base for Winchester telescopic sight)

Unfortunately the barrel was changed at some time, and the receiver was not D&T'd as there are no holes in it.