Default The cost for one 155mm artillery shell ...

$8,400

Glad I never shot those things. Real pain to reload I bet.

https://www.wsj.com/world/europe/war...tages-57d664ad

We have an ammunition plant 6-7 miles from us. It's been making all kinds of munitions since it was built in about 1941. Every so often we hear large explosions from that direction. Were told they destroy 'powder' of some sort that wasn't suitable for what they were making. For the past year there have been numerous explosions. I guess destined to Ukraine.

3. Default

Knew a guy who called in artillery in VN and got billed for it. Team went in and said there wasn't evidence of bad guys.

155mm artillery still uses the old projectile and bag system so the cost is for the projectile. I did a little checking and the cost of a projectile varies a lot. A plain vanilla HE "dumb" projectile is a bit under $1,000.00 (not cheap) but one guided 155mm Excaliber projectile is a whopping $100,000.00. Of course the advantage of the super expensive Excaliber round is a virtually guaranteed hit with the first try. So it seems that the cost can be anywhere from about a grand (not cheap) to about 100 grand, real expensive, and a with options in between.

So, war is still hell and not cheap.

Wish I had a nickel for every 155 my battery fired in 'Nam. I'd be very rich!
    Last edited by Major Tom; 11-01-2023 at 08:01.

Quote Originally Posted by dogtag View Post
    $8,400

Glad I never shot those things. Real pain to reload I bet.

https://www.wsj.com/world/europe/war...tages-57d664ad
    Easy to reload -- it's caseless, a "bag gun." Projectiles, powder, fuzes and primers issued separately.

When a fire mission comes down, the crews grab shells from the selected lot, powder from the selected lot, cut the powder charge (there are 8 zones) screw on the selected fuze and ram the shell home, followed by the selected zones. One cannoneer stands well behind the gun, holding up the unused powder charges so the XO can tell the gun is properly loaded.

A typical fire command would be:

"Battery adjust. Charge 6, lot XY. Fuze quick. Base piece, one round. Battery 3 rounds VT for effect.