Thread: Only 5% of new US cars sold are stick shift ...

Default Only 5% of new US cars sold are stick shift ...

Only 18% of American drivers can operate a manual transmission and only five percent of vehicles sold in the US are stick shifts, CBS News Minnesota reported.

This statistic came from a story about thieves
    who couldn't drive the car they stole - got shot instead.

Seems my old Truck is safe.
    She'll be glad to hear that I bet.

2. Default

Millennial Anti Theft Device.

My truck is an auto with the shifter on the console so I feel a little of both worlds.

Back in the 50's and earlier standards were about all you could get and who really wanted a 3 on the tree?

In the 60's to early 70's many cars had real engines and 4 speed shifters on the floor was the way to go.

Early 70's to mid 90's cars were gutless. The thrill was over. It was more a job to keep one running and not rusting out than to be concerned about performance.

Now with fuel injection and computer ignition/timing the power is coming back but to me the 6 speed, 8 speed and higher (?) auto trans put the manual trans to rest.

Some cars have paddle shifters on the steering wheel for those who like to play around with things while they drive.

I miss my Muncie 4 on the floor.

Once a shift was the only reliable transmission. Then, things changed. Now, automatic transmissions are just about faultless. Cars, trucks and even OTR use automatics. Even see them in race cars. No clutch to depress. More room on the floor when wearing boots. Years ago when my daughters were little girls, I'd let them play car by shifting the lever for me while I worked the clutch. Guess my grandchildren will have to find some other toys with which to play. My Toyota has a 5 speed shift ... but it's 13 years old. My wife and I drove shifts from 1985 till 2017 when she wanted to go to a automatic. Guess next car we buy, I'll got automatic. It's cool. I like the way her car drives just fine. Sincerely. bruce.
    " Unlike most conservatives, libs have no problem exploiting dead children and dancing on their graves."

Quote Originally Posted by bruce View Post
    Cars, trucks and even OTR use automatics.
    OTR (over the road) refers to big trucks. I wonder why that term is used---where else are they going to drive, UNDER the road? Beside the road, instead of the road?

Once we are all forced to drive electric only cars I guess transmissions will become obsolete. AFAIK the elec motor is the trans and the clutch. That's why trains use an elec motor. What clutch could possibly hold up to pulling train cars?