Default Saturday coffee Aug. 5

Back from the short hike already. Flop Ears tried to roll in something, but I was right there to convince her that had bad idea written all over it. Bike not done yet - parts have yet to arrive.

Weather wise, it's been cooler this week - only in the 80s. 64 when we left the house which felt good. No coffee yet. Wifey makes it, and she won't be getting up for a while. So me & the dog will be quiet. She'll look out the window for wabbits, and I'll cruise a few sites. SW

2. Default

53 this morning. Highs in the low 90s.
    I've started leaving the windows shut overnight.

Fruit trees are going nuts this year.
    Apple tree branches are trailing on the ground. There's one shrub that's never produced anything before. Looks like it's making cherries but I don't see anything eating them which leaves me suspicious. There's one broken down tree prone to leaf curl that's the saddest looking thing you could imagine. Seems to have plumbs growing on it. I didn't know it could do that.

Squirrels have been having way too much fun.
    I know that's a judgement call on my part but it's my call to make. I'm getting out the traps.

If they get too cheeky and keep chewing on things, the spray hot sauce trick actually works. Wifey tried the water balloon with peanut butter smeared on the bottom and tacked to a tree trick, too. Maybe not permanently effective, but it's good for a laugh. SW
    pic2b.jpg
    Last edited by 5thDragoons; 08-05-2023 at 08:37.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by 5thDragoons View Post
    Wifey tried the water balloon with peanut butter smeared on the bottom and tacked to a tree trick, too. Maybe not permanently effective, but it's good for a laugh. SW
    I like it.
    Trapping's a permanent solution but I wouldn't mind ruining their day first.
    Last edited by Dragonsdad; 08-05-2023 at 09:31.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonsdad View Post
    I know that's a judgement call on my part but it's my call to make. I'm getting out the traps.
    I hate squirrels. It's one of the few things I will kill. They remind me of monkeys: always chewing, stealing, destroying everything in their path. Soon cold weather will arrive and they will find a way into your attic or sheds where they will find new things to destroy.

I use to trap them then shoot them with 22 "rat shot" to prevent damage to the trap till the cartridges became hard to find. They eat, bury or damage ALL the pecans from my trees. Since I realized I don't pick them up and my wife doesn't bake with them I don't bother any more.

Already 78 here. Sposed to cool down to mid 60's for the next five days or so.
    Bike is breaking in real nice. My distance average has dropped due to the recent heat- it's just too hot to ride very far.
    Maybe I'll give the old cars a chance tomorrow at the Pony Corral. There's people here with fairly deep pockets when it comes to cars.

About squills~ I used to live with two cats across from a heavily oak treed park. The gray bushy tails were wicked teases to my cats, sticking their tongues out and making neener faces. One day wife opened the window (this was before we were living together), and that was the end of the teasing. The squills gave my place quite a wide berth after that.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

Blog Entries

spent the week in our store in Kilmarnock, (helper on vacation) and stayed with my brother whilst there,
    got to see the Antares launch, which was underwelming,

took the day off yesterday and attempted another Service Rifle match,
    new upper, new scope, same me, so not that great a score, but still relearning the sport, and the rifle is more than capable,

should have my No 32 scope back from Wheaty this week, so when i go up to practice later this month, I will sight it in and shoot 10 rounds for a Postal Match,

Scored a brand BNIB rear carrier for the bike today for only five bucks off the local buy and sell. Seals on the box were still un-broken. There was a 16.99 price tag on it that would date it to about the mid 80's. Passed on the pot metal fasteners that came with it, and used some proper made for bicycle mounting bolts. Just about set now.

Cranked up the bicycle distance average today with nearly 12 miles on the first trip, and a second 6 mile run much later in the afternoon. Wind's shifted to north west, and I think this hot spell is going to be over soon.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

My frustration factor of 14 on a 10 scale is slowly getting better. We finally had enough of century stink's BS. Jumped through hoops to get wifey a cell phone with the same number. She doesn't deal well with jumping through hoops, but older daughter got her lined out.

The fun part was calling in to terminate service. The Paki customer service guru couldn't understand why we were bailing after 30+ years. I couldn't understand him.
    but it's over.

They'll be by tomorrow to roll up the line. Odd that - they couldn't get a tech here to fix the static in over 6 weeks.

Then I was going to buy an IMA yak fat musket, but my laptop bonked. Well, I use that a lot more than I'd use the musket so I'll do some shopping later on.

Got my bike back... haven't had time to ride it, let alone take pics.

But things are going well again, so it's time to flop with the dog and just vegetate.

BTW - centurylink SUCKS! SW

We had similar problems when we were living on the other side of town.
    The comm co. provided our land-line, t.v. cable, and internet.
    The t.v. and internet were far less than reliable, and we got pretty tired of the lack of service.
    Ended up going to a major competitor, and never a problem after that.
    What I don't get is that it was all coming off the same wire and poles, regardless of who we were paying.
    Maybe one outfit's switching gear is better than the other...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail