Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

In Viet Nam, our camp well was so saturated with chlorine, you could bleach clothes in it. Which it pretty much had to be to kill off all the harmful amoeba and stuff like liver flukes. But with the heat & humidity, you drank it. I severely missed a big drink of cold water. Came in from leaving footprints one fine day dryer than popcorn flatulence.

Somebody said the cook had ice. (Meat came in iced, and the cook sold it a few chunks at a time. I think 10 cents MPC would get your canteen cup mostly full.) So I bought a chunk, stuffed it in my canteen cup and asked after a can of pop. All he had left was Fresca. Whatever - another dime and I held the cup against my mug, savoring the carbonation cooling me. After letting it cool a bit I slugged down half the cup and... YUCK!

It made my thirst worse! And tasted... not pleasant at all. So to this day I love my cold water and drink a lot every day. SW

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 5thDragoons View Post
    In Viet Nam, our camp well was so saturated with chlorine, you could bleach clothes in it. Which it pretty much had to be to kill off all the harmful amoeba and stuff like liver flukes. But with the heat & humidity, you drank it. I severely missed a big drink of cold water. Came in from leaving footprints one fine day dryer than popcorn flatulence.

Somebody said the cook had ice. (Meat came in iced, and the cook sold it a few chunks at a time. I think 10 cents MPC would get your canteen cup mostly full.) So I bought a chunk, stuffed it in my canteen cup and asked after a can of pop. All he had left was Fresca. Whatever - another dime and I held the cup against my mug, savoring the carbonation cooling me. After letting it cool a bit I slugged down half the cup and... YUCK!

It made my thirst worse! And tasted... not pleasant at all. So to this day I love my cold water and drink a lot every day. SW
    had a neighbor for a bit that loved him some Dewar's white label scotch, and he mixed it with Fresca,

beyond nasty to me, but it was his drink

Fresca and Tab. 2 drinks that never should have been.

As far as Saturday coffee goes my wife has been busy watching TV all day. She likes chick flicks. What she set the DVR to record is Hallmark's "When calls the heart". Anyway, she didn't know that the show was being broadcast 12-15 episodes a day (series began in 2014) so she has racked up 47 recordings and has put a dent into our recorders storage so she's been watching them all day. To be more brief the shows are being shown and recorded faster than she can watch them.

She's got nothing better to do though. She still walks 4 miles a day per her pedometer and watches what she eats. She also drinks water all the time diluted with a little green tea for taste.

I went to the local Piggly Wiggly (a subsidiary of Hoggly Woggly) yesterday. Guess what I saw? A big stock of Fresca. I didn't know they still made the stuff.

When I took Flop Ears for a short hike this morning, there was "Wally" - the pond beaver patrolling the perimeter. Hadn't seen it for a couple weeks and thought it had migrated back to the river. It didn't seem to be paying much attention to me and kept on swimming.

Mowed yesterday. Didn't really feel like it, but it turned out to be a good move - rained most of the night. Cloudy and cooler here today which will work out if the bike shop got in the stuff I needed. My plan is to start out with a trip around the hood just to get a feel for it. SW

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by 5thDragoons View Post
    Last time I was over, my Euro pals were amazed how much water I drank. I was amazed how little they seem to get by with. My main man's wifey, Natasha asked what I drink with dinner. "Water!" sez I. "You don't have wine with dinner?" she asked in amazement.

The amount of wine consumed over there flat astounded me. After touring the big museum in Liege, we had dinner in a nearby Italian restaurant. I noticed EVERY table consumed no fewer than 2 bottles with their meal, and nobody was walking funny when they left.

After my 2 tours in beautiful S.E. Asia (where having enough was problematic), I keep 2 gallon jugs in the fridge. Water is good, and colder is better! SW
    Yep! I remember being in France when I was a teen, I got 1/2 & 1/2 wine & water, same wine as the family adults just cut.
    I was there for my 21st & they had a celebratory dinner with all sorts of local (small town) "celebrities" like the Monsignor & the Mayor.
    I got my usual 1/2 & 1/2 then it was removed, a fresh glass laid out & filled with wine.
    I was given the (rather nice & fancy) glass & had it for better than 50 years as a cherished memento.
    I think we miss the little "coming of age" things here & cheat the kids out of markers in their growth.
    I still drink European style, giant cups of "cafe au lait" made in an espresso machine & wine like soda.

I don't seem to be suffering for it I'm 72 & only take one pill for BP, the Mrs has a pharmacy!
    Cafe au lait.jpg