Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Titanic mission

1. Default

Take a home made hang glider out on day with 'good thermals' (thunderstorms) to see if you can set an altitude record.
    Same thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by barretcreek View Post
    Take a home made hang glider out on day with 'good thermals' (thunderstorms) to see if you can set an altitude record.
    Same thinking.
    +1

And don't forget to take passengers.

Some things are dangerous by nature even in the best scenarios. One of those is wreck diving even in shallow water. I have a friend who was a navy salvage diver. He also did recreational scuba diving including some wreck diving. He told me once about diving the wreck of the Prinz Eugen. He came up got into the boat and found himself in the company of some very worried people. Two divers who had gone down before him had not come back. He recalls vividly to this day standing on the deck with their wives watching the minutes tick off as their air ran out. They've never been found.

The deeper you go the more dangerous it gets. As a hard hat driver he was told that at the deep end of the equipment's capability if the suit failed your entire body was going to try real hard to fit into your helmet.

Titanic explorers have known someone would die down there eventually but they always assumed it would be from becoming trapped in the wreck in a vehicle like a MIR, not the failure of a rinky dink do it on the cheap expirimental vehicle.

Here's a fun one. You probably don't want to fly with this guy. Skip ahead to 6:00 o'clock(about half through the vid).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AhQvm27IYU
    If I should die before I wake...great,a little more sleep.

I've yet to see a pic of the right side of the sub, so I assume
    that is where the hatch is. Considering how crappily this thing
    was made, the hatch could be a big cork.

Quote Originally Posted by dogtag View Post
    I've yet to see a pic of the right side of the sub, so I assume
    that is where the hatch is. Considering how crappily this thing
    was made, the hatch could be a big cork.
    The front viewing window was only rated to something like 4800'. The Titanic rest at 12,500'. A red flag by itself right there. It was found, intact, but detached. The hatch may be the same case. At this point we don't know the weak point but you may be on to something with the right side observation.

As far as pressures go, once the pressure is equilibrium on all sides the implosion ends. The human body is full of air including the blood and brain so "boom" is the only way the pressure will equate @ 6500psi. Remember the Titanic itself is mostly intact---the pressure equalled slower though as it sunk instead of an actual implosion at once.

7. Default

Some doctor explained that the passengers never knew it happened. They had been disintegrated before the sight was transferred from their eye to the brain, and the auditory nerve had not transmitted the sound.

8. Default

I was given the impression that the only entry/exit was via the front "end Cap" which was bolted back on after entry. No "side hatches" at all.
    Interestingly the end cap being raised had the tie strap passing through the big hole in the end cap where the "window" should have been!
    To me that says the port which was under rated massively, blew.

With all these billionaires building spacecraft for very expensive
    trips into space and racing to see who gets there first.
    (Virgin Galactic went up today) - I fear there could be another
    catastrophe in the cards. It seems some devious character
    has devised a way to kill off millionaires

Quote Originally Posted by dogtag View Post
    I fear there could be another
    catastrophe in the cards.
    I think they're on borrowed time already.

I read today that OceanGate is still advertising ads for the Titanic dive. I suppose they haven't pulled their listing yet. Surely they aren't this dumb. A new pilot for the sub would really be dumb.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-wreckage.html