Default Saturday coffee June 24

Kinda early, but news here. Three tornados went sailing over here this evening. Wifey wigged out and hit the basement. I did the usual thing and went out to talk with neighbors all of whom were in the street watching clouds. After the nastiest-looking clouds went away, several people jumped in their cars to watch for more.

Not me! I parked my truck under the walnut tree to have cover if it hailed and beat it back inside before I got beaned. No hail so far, but the night's not over. In this pic, here's supposedly a tornado, but I have my doubts.

But it was nice to chat with neighbors. SW

IMG_0295 (2).JPG

I guess it did hail a little while I was on the phone to younger daughter - quarter size ice rocks. Happily, it only lasted a few minutes. Shown with plastic pencil for size perspective. We got the "bulletproof" shingles last time there was a nasty hail storm, so we're GTG with this one. SW

IMG_0297 (2).JPG

I usually start yawning on the pressure drop of an incoming cold front like that.
    Got the same mechanical pencil by the computer here with a red pocket clip.
    The one hail incident we had (so far this summer) was pea sized, and lasted about 7 or 8 minutes.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

4. Default

I still remember seeing my first hail damaged car when I was in Colorado.
    I'm not saying it never does that here (Western Great Basin). I am saying we don't get hammered anywhere nearly as hard as some of you are used to.

Blog Entries

we get hail now and again, and it is usually pea sized,

except once, it was palm sized, a few new window screens

new siding, new roof, car and truck repairs, fun times that was (not)

the area got pelted so much that Alstate (our home insurance and car insurance at the time) sent adjusters from Tex

Quote Originally Posted by 5thDragoons View Post
    Not me! I parked my truck under the walnut tree to have cover if it hailed and beat it back inside before I got beaned. No hail so far, but the night's not over. In this pic, here's supposedly a tornado, but I have my doubts.
    More than one car or truck has been crushed by a falling tree in violent weather.

Quote Originally Posted by Vern Humphrey View Post
    More than one car or truck has been crushed by a falling tree in violent weather.
    Good to park under trees for hail if carport not available. Not good to park under trees during wind, heavy rain, or birds.

8. Default

I'm committed to pruning and trimming shrubs and weeds this weekend.
    Ordered new line spools for the battery powered string trimmer. Spare saw chain should be in the same pkg.

String trimmer feels under-powered but I've grown to appreciate the limited run-time.
    I've been timing my breaks based on battery life.

Managed to get rid of 18 Elm trees around the time I retired
    Wish I'd put more effort into it and taken out the few remaining.
    Between invasive root systems and drought weakened trunks they've proven more trouble than the shade is worth.
    Last edited by Dragonsdad; 06-24-2023 at 10:26.

Blog Entries

storm that came thru yesterday and the day before (it rained here for almost a week) took out a lot of branches but fortunately no trees down at the shop or house

did loose a big branch at the shop, that was wrapped pretty tight in ivy, which has no structual support,

I'll burn that up in the firepit once it drys out a bit,

meanwhile at 456.,,, beer time

Quote Originally Posted by lyman View Post
    storm that came thru yesterday and the day before (it rained here for almost a week) took out a lot of branches but fortunately no trees down at the shop or house

did loose a big branch at the shop, that was wrapped pretty tight in ivy, which has no structual support,

I'll burn that up in the firepit once it drys out a bit,

meanwhile at 456.,,, beer time
    Same here except I did lose 1/2 of an 80 year old pecan tree. Limb is probably 14" across near the trunk. It covers a big area of the yard now. I'm always overjoyed to have more work presented to me especially when I can't get caught up. At least it didn't rain today so I could pick up 2 acres of smaller limbs and mow.

I have to much crap piled up in the back of my old work truck to burn plus we're in a 6 month burn ban. I suppose they figure everything would just float off anyway. Luckily my old truck has an 8' bed. Still, I will be making several trips to the landfill once it gets dry enough to go there.

And.... 6:55 beer time.