Thread: Bullet and primer sealer?

Default Bullet and primer sealer?

Does anyone still use bullet and primer sealer?
    Up till about 30 years ago I used the stuff religiously to mark loads for different precision bolt rifles using a color scheme. Haven't used much since but while I was waiting from my powder dispenser to warm up today I did some cleanup. I know dangerous huh. Any how, I came across a bunch of different sealers and if someone has a good reason, I just might start using it again. This was the thin liquid that was applied with a toothpick.

2. Default

Not really.
    I do use "Magic Marker" on primers to denote various different variations in a load.
    It has the advantage of being easily removable later.

Blog Entries

it was common when I was shooting Service Rifle for folks to mark their brass with a marker or sharpie so they would be able to pick it up ,

one guy did a ring around the cartridge maybe 1\2 inch up the brass, I just touched the primer and base with black marker, sometimes

never tried or thought of sealing either end

Back when I shot competitively in the slo-fire stages of a match, I would REMOVE the ejector completely from my M1 or M1A, or even my AR 15 . . . .in order to place my brass back into the cartridge box. (With the AR, the fired brass would merely hang in the bolt face, for me to flick it out with my pinky finger.)
    When a cease-fire was issued at 11:00 for policing brass, I sat in the shade, drinking “iced tea”, while watching fellow shooters “argue and chew” over whose brass belonged to who.

Blog Entries

easier to put your shooting stool to your right in slow prone and let it catch or deflect your brass,

Quote Originally Posted by lyman View Post
    easier to put your shooting stool to your right in slow prone and let it catch or deflect your brass,
    That wouldn’t work where I shot most matches . . . .Blue Trail Range, Wallingford, Ct.

Almost ALL brass was ejected FORWARD (about 1-2 o’clock) . . .down the bank, into the weeds and poison ivy!

I have been using a CTK precision brass catcher. Works well and you can place it right next to your rifle for those 1 - 2 oclock flings. There is a threaded hole in the base so you can use it on a tripod for sitting and off hand. Me I am lazy, I like prone. Whatta Hobby!

6.5 Creedmoor.jpgTarget 1 28 23 2.jpgXM21 209.jpgLRB dot rifle.jpg