Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Quote Originally Posted by 5thDragoons View Post
    While I'm typing, I've been seeing a beaver pretty much every morning I get Flop Ears out to the pond for a hike around 0500. Oddly, it doesn't seem to be scared of people. Normally, they slap the water with their tail and take a dive. But "Wally" keeps right on paddling. This morning, it came closer - maybe 10 or 15 yards. I know people feed geese there - maybe it has acquired a taste for stale bread. I'll nick a dinner roll and give it a try one of these mornings. SW
    They actually get territorial to the extreme of rudeness here~ especially if there are young beaver in the lodge.
    It is an act of aggression for them to come that close, and not feeding behaviour. Odds are high it's a female....

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

2. Default

Got it in my head foxes tend to smell bad and don't make good house pets.
    I'm not going to swear to that. Never tried to house-sit one.
    Last edited by Dragonsdad; 06-01-2023 at 03:51.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonsdad View Post
    Got it in my head foxes tend to smell bad and don't make good house pets.
    I'm not going to swear to that. Never tried to house-sit one.
    There may be a lot of reasons they aren't used as house pets. I've only encountered one, a red fox at the mentioned fair grounds. I reached over and petted it and it seemed to enjoy the attention just like a dog and gave me that "look" as if to say "get me out of here and take me home". Didn't notice any odor but obviously the holding pens were in an airy area.

Opossums are another story. Some people have them as pets but opossums stink big time.
    Last edited by Allen; 06-01-2023 at 05:52.

Blog Entries

never knew anyone that has a possum for a pet,

knew some years ago that would trap them , put them in a cage for a week, to get the gamey taste out, (feed it corn etc then kill it in 7 days, )
    supposedly good eats,
    never tried one,

grandma had a pet coon, Sally (the Coon) had run of the house and would still go outside
    we (Sally and I) used to share pop tarts when I was a wee tyke whilst watching Sat Morning Cartoons,

she went off one day and did not come back for a while, then showed up one day with a pile of little Coons on her back and with her,
    then wandered off again,

Quote Originally Posted by lyman View Post
    never knew anyone that has a possum for a pet,

knew some years ago that would trap them , put them in a cage for a week, to get the gamey taste out, (feed it corn etc then kill it in 7 days, )
    supposedly good eats,
    never tried one,

grandma had a pet coon, Sally (the Coon) had run of the house and would still go outside
    we (Sally and I) used to share pop tarts when I was a wee tyke whilst watching Sat Morning Cartoons,

she went off one day and did not come back for a while, then showed up one day with a pile of little Coons on her back and with her,
    then wandered off again,
    Coons make good pets if you're set up for it. I had a friend that had one. He kept it in a large cage at night in the house to keep it from plundering. When he was up and about, not in school, etc, the coon went everywhere he went and had run of the house too.

Coons are curious, they will get into EVERYTHING.

Opossums are greasy I hear. I've spoken with people who cooked them or knew someone who did and said they are sometimes baked with sweet potatoes. The potatoes help assorb some of the grease. Not for me. I knew one person who said he used to eat opossums but quit when he discovered they eat road kill.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    Opossums are greasy I hear. I've spoken with people who cooked them or knew someone who did and said they are sometimes baked with sweet potatoes. The potatoes help assorb some of the grease.
    Hence that old southern term of endearment, 'Possum 'Tater.