Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny P View Post
    While the height of the characters of the U.S. Rifle/CAL..30 M1/SPRINGFIELD/ARMORY are not as tall as the serial number, on the photo in the original post they are basically the same thickness for lack of a better word) as the serial number

In this photo these receiver markings are much "thinner" than the serial number.

[url=https://postimg.cc/nXtgTmvx]
    Our son has a CMP special grade S.A. with a six digit number in which the letters and numbers are struck on the receiver exactly like this example. My 2,170,000 series rifle has the numbers that are struck in the same thinner format throughout. This stuff obviously changed with time. It's just knowing what time.
    Last edited by Art; 05-08-2023 at 04:26.

2. Default

Regardless of the slight variation in size, which can vary somewhat with how deep they were struck, the stamping was always lined up, not up and down as on the receiver in the original post.

Regardless of the slight variation in size, which can vary somewhat with how deep they were struck, the stamping was always lined up, not up and down as on the receiver in the original post.
    Agree with what you are saying but that 89 appears to be floating higher than the rest.

Blog Entries

A pantograph can cut crisp, but it can't cut square ends on the letters and numbers. The receiver shown has rounded ends on the letters and numbers, common to all pantographs.

Take a look at RIFLE, with the letters up and down, not in a straight line. Then look at the original I posted.

I can see that now that I see what you blew up,

Default WW2 receiver

This receiver had the logo and serial number refreshed by an engraver in NJ some twenty five years ago.
    I was able to take a few photos before it was sold two years ago. It never looked right to me, maybe without
    the white color, it might look better. the owner stated the logo was faint from being refinished and hoped to
    improve the receiver. Thanks for all the opinionsDSCN3156.jpg also a photo of a 2 mil
    receiver in my photo
    Last edited by RCS; 05-08-2023 at 07:39.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    Agree with what you are saying but that 89 appears to be floating higher than the rest.
    That happens because the serial number is put on with a die that rotates one serial number for each strike, much like an odometer on a car, and they aren't necessarily exactly aligned like the nomenclature die which is fixed.

The same example on a WW2 era Colt 1911A1. The UNITED STATES PROPERTY and M 1911A1 U.S. ARMY were put on with roll dies which will be in perfectly alignment as the die is fixed, where the serial number was put on with the same type of machine as the M1 Rifle shown above where the numbers rotate. The 0 was a little low, and the 3 a little high.

Last edited by Johnny P; 05-08-2023 at 08:25.

The UNITED STATES PROPERTY and M 1911A1 U.S. ARMY were put on with roll dies which will be in perfectly alignment as the die is fixed, where the serial number was put on with the same type of machine as the M1 Rifle shown above where the numbers rotate.
    I knew about the roll dies. A local pawn/gun shop sold a set a few years ago. I don't remember who the manf was nor the wording but I think it was USGI. They auctioned it off on GB starting with $20. I put it on my watch list and forgot about it figuring it would sell for quite a bit. I found out later it sold for the starting price. Wish now I had bought it even though I have no use for it, just nice to have.

Default early Winchester rifle serial numbers

Alot of early Winchester serial numbers had the first number one of the serial out of alignment.

My photo shows a three digit serial number from Jan 1941dscn0096_0017.jpgdscn0103_0018.jpg