Default 1943 Training Film on the M1 Rifle

Excellent short film on the practical use and operation of the M1 Garand with a couple of unexpected items. Note the loading method. This was the original method taught to load the M1 and was obviously still being used at least into the second year of the war. Being a southpaw I still use this method with the top cartridge on my clips loaded on the left side. My rifle has a new op. rod spring with only a few hundred rounds on it so the bolt snaps forward smartly with no "bump" from me at leas 9 out of 10 times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJJeBXZeVZU

A side note, I was in a local gun shop today and the owner had just bought an M1D, all USGI including the M84 'scope. The flash hider was the prong type. It looked fresh from rebuild, very few signs of use, almost no wear on the sharp edges. The glass on the sight was very clear and clean. Beautiful example of an M1D. He sold it before it even hit the display rack. I didn't ask the price but I'll guarantee it cost the new owner a very pretty penny indeed.
    Last edited by Art; 04-25-2023 at 06:03.

Same loading technique was still being used in USMC M1 training 23 years later when I went through it. No M1 thumbs loading a clip but I have seen some on an unloaded rifle when trying to release the bolt. One learns in a hurry. Whatta Hobby!