Default Saturday coffee April 15

We had 80+ temps for 3 days straight which means yesterday we had... yep. Snow. Of course, it didn't stick, but it's just the idea. Watching signs, I'm still not seeing springtime birds. Robins should be here in abundance squabbling over nest material... they are not. Not much for meadowlarks, either. So we might have another snow storm or two worthy of the name coming.

I did see buzzards soaring around, and they're a spring bird. Melting snow has really turned the yard green - might have to mow next week. I actually did get off my butt and rake up stuff I should have raked last fall. Ah, well - it's up now. No plans for today other than some serious goofing off! SW

Blog Entries

ha!

I thought Hal's thread was a coffee thread,

to add, got a call from a guy that is driving down from Fushigiland (maryland) to look at a pile of High Standard's I have, , so my day at the shop may be longer than I thought,

either way, gotz stuff to do here while waiting, so it will still be a productive day,

gonna brew me a cuppa, tea,, and get busy,

3. Default

We haven't seen 80 yet.
    It's been warmish @ 70 but no 80f.

Haven't seen any Meadowlarks out here since I was a kid. Robins started showing up last week. Ants have been out for at least a week. I have a friend who keeps bees, seems to think we're in for a siege of bugs this year. With all the wet we've been having I'm going to agree with him. Nice to see some blue sky though.

Coffee cup's around here somewhere. I need to work on that.

- - - Updated - - -

You say Hal has coffee?

We ain't no where near 80 yet.
    You must be under the same low pressure "super-cell" as us.
    About 35F right now, and still on the 1st cup of half Colombian/Arabian. Great stuff.
    Again, the freezing rain missed us. Sposed to be a few flakes coming down this aft.
    Not sure what to do today- I has a hankering for bacon&eggs, and there ain't any of either in this place...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

Quote Originally Posted by lyman View Post
    ha!

I thought Hal's thread was a coffee thread,

to add, got a call from a guy that is driving down from Fushigiland (maryland) to look at a pile of High Standard's I have, , so my day at the shop may be longer than I thought,

either way, gotz stuff to do here while waiting, so it will still be a productive day,

gonna brew me a cuppa, tea,, and get busy,
    Not meaning to change the subject but you mentioned a "pile of High Standard's". As a youth I was always fascinated by the HS target pistols they made. Before I could afford one they had gone out of business and the target pistols I once thought were too expensive had sky rocketed since in value.

HS somehow became Mitchell Arms or Mitchell bought into some of there models or something.

I ended up with a Mitchell Citation. May be a piece of crap---I don't know. I've only shot it once or twice. It's in new condition in the factory box. The fact it's made of SS interest me due to our daily rains and 6000% humidity.

Also bought a Mitchell 1911 all SS with adjustable trigger, adjustable rear sight and dove tailed front sight so it's adjustable too. Still like new in the box. I have several 1911's so I haven't shot this one yet.

My brother had an old High Standard 22 auto pistol that was marked U.S. Navy. I think he paid something like $40 for it back in the early 70's. He ran across someone that just had to have it so it was swapped for a like new P-38 matching #'s with all the little swastika stamps.

That HS 22 would no doubt we worth some $ now but so is the P-38 so maybe even money?

Blog Entries

Blog Entries

US used High Standard in the OSS (Silenced) and also as trainers and competition guns, (mostly HD's )

they also bought a few for rapid fire, not many of those were made, like maybe a double handful,

here is 1 from my personal collection

PXL_20221015_002656230.MP.jpg

Nice. I believe you have more than Gun Broker. Any experience with the Mitchell's?

Blog Entries

they are not highly thought off,
    most work, some don't, but they have improved (or whatever the modern Tx company is called)

there is another High Standard now in Montana as well

Same I've heard on the Taurus 94. I have one, a 9 shot 22, 5" barrel, SS model. I've shot the crap out of it but due to the less than desirable rear sight leaf (I like a S&W rear sight) I use it to kill squirrels in the traps I set using rat shot (to prevent damage to the cage/trap).

Some of these gun have bad reputations. I'm sure they earn it because people who buy something usually don't bad mouth it for no good reason. Guess I've been lucky for the most part.