Where the wind comes sweeping down the plain

Default Tumblers - what 'cha got?

My vibrator Tumbler from Harbor Freight

Vib Tumbler2.jpg

My homebuilt wet tumbler that uses SS pins

T10b.jpg

Blog Entries

Big Dillon, works well and is relatively quiet

lyman orange smaller unit as well, which is probably the quietest tumbler out there

Had a Midway vibrator tumbler. Lasted about 10 years or so. I suppose moist air rusted the motor up and the plastic lid started cracking so away it went.

Since then I've used a Thumbler's Tumbler rotary tumbler that I use for wet tumbling with the SS pins.

I also have a Frankford Arsenal vibrator tumbler still in the box in case I go back to using corn cob or walnut shell media.

I hear some people who reload on a large scale buy the Harbor Freight electric cement mixer and do the wet tumbling.
    Last edited by Allen; 04-05-2023 at 05:42.

Blog Entries

I still have the first tumbler I bought, a midway that is maybe one step up from the Frankford, or may be the same,

it is so loud, I would put it at the end of a drop cords reach outside the garage, or start it inside, and leave the building for an hour,

the dillon is much better, and the smaller (but bigger than the midway) is so quiet you can have it on and work in the same room

Quote Originally Posted by lyman View Post
    I still have the first tumbler I bought, a midway that is maybe one step up from the Frankford, or may be the same,

it is so loud, I would put it at the end of a drop cords reach outside the garage, or start it inside, and leave the building for an hour,

the dillon is much better, and the smaller (but bigger than the midway) is so quiet you can have it on and work in the same room
    Noise has never been an issue for me. I use the tumblers in a shop that is separate from the house.

Lotta noise may mean it is working harder ??????????

Think how loud those cement mixers are when tumbling brass.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    Noise has never been an issue for me. I use the tumblers in a shop that is separate from the house.

Lotta noise may mean it is working harder ??????????

Think how loud those cement mixers are when tumbling brass.
    noise is from the quality of the build and the material used in the bowls,

they are basically a motor thrown off balance due to a weight,

the Midway unit was\is beyond cheep

Quote Originally Posted by lyman View Post
    noise is from the quality of the build and the material used in the bowls,

they are basically a motor thrown off balance due to a weight,

the Midway unit was\is beyond cheep
    I think all the bowl types are plastic.

The Thumbler's Tumbler has a very heavy rubber liner and gasket. When dry tumbling basically all you hear is the little motor running. Wet tumbling produces more noise, especially when something heavy is inside like a few 50bmg brass---you'll hear some thumping.

Someone using a cement mixer would need to place it out in the woods somewhere if they're bothered by noise as they have no liner since they weren't made for tumbling. It would no doubt be as loud as mixing concrete. A little beside the point but a comparison.

File photo's. Not mine, but the same.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Where the wind comes sweeping down the plain

My HF vibrator tumbler isn't all that loud. I use on of the bedrooms as a reloading room and it's next to the living room. With the door closed you really can't hear much.

My wet tumbler, on the other hand, is a bit noisier. The sound of the motor and the noise from the drum when it's full of brass, ss pins, and water means it stays in the garage.
    Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.― Mark Twain

Thumler's model B is my go to. Whatta Hobby!