Thread: Annual Clean Up

Default Annual Clean Up

Well I just got through with my annual tear down, thorough cleaning and lubing of my M1. Scott Duff long ago advised me to clean the bore after every range trip but to do the take down and clean once a year or every 500 rounds whichever came first. Once a year comes first form me every year . i usually do it in January but am a bit late this year. I put a few rounds through it last week during a range trip with our son so today was it.

Now I guess I just have to go out and put a few clips to it while my range assistant is still in town to help me hump targets and stuff.

The gun does have some warts but it is still probably my favorite rifle to shoot, accurate, simple to use and pretty darn reliable if its maintained, I've had only two malfunctions, both with M2 ball, a stove pipe and a failure to feed, in 20 years and probably 2,000 rounds of ammo, more or less. Mr Garand was a genius.
    Last edited by Art; 03-05-2023 at 06:21. Reason: Correction

Blog Entries

I pull my stuff out the safe usually once a year and give them a wipe down and check the safe for that funky white mold, (ballistol, and a dry rod seem to help that)_

I did pull and clean a garand last year, only because it needed it so I could shoot a match,