1. Default Reloading theory question

In reloading parlance, I'm trying to ldefine what T H I S is called.

The balance between seating the bullet optimally off the lands for accuracy, while keeping as much of the case neck on the "bearing surface" of the bullet as possible.

I've read that there is a suggestion or rule that the length of one calibers diameter should be under the neck. And also, that it doesn't matter.

Does this theory or practice have a name.

Any guesses?
    Last edited by BuckeyeShooter; 02-14-2023 at 03:43.

Blog Entries

I believe it's neck engagement. I've seen pros and more cons. If there is a canulure, no matter how it's spelled, use it for seating depth.

Someone makes a gage for determining just when you touch the lands, but I gave the rifle and all the reloading equipment for it to my son. It is for trying to squeeze the last bit of accuracy out of the load and rifle, and is not going to show huge gains.

4. Default

Thank you gentlemen. Seaching neck engagement does come up with a bunch of hits and explainations.
    And yes, I use those "Stoney Point" gauges. Hornady sells them now as thier product. Nifty tools .

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeShooter View Post
    Thank you gentlemen. Seaching neck engagement does come up with a bunch of hits and explainations.
    And yes, I use those "Stoney Point" gauges. Hornady sells them now as thier product. Nifty tools .
    ?Nifty tools?, yes . . . .but quite unnecessary . . .

To determine seating depth, simply insert bullet in case VERY LONG, then CAREFULLY chamber cartridge and close the bolt.
    The throat and rifling will push the bullet deeper in the case and you can determine the final seating depth from there. (I like about .10? off the lands)

6. Default

Yes sir, so many ways. I always thought sooting the bullet was a cool way also.
    Last edited by BuckeyeShooter; 02-16-2023 at 02:45.

8. Default

Yes sir, so many ways. I always thought sooting the bullet was a cool way also.
    All reloaders use neck tension with one exception, I use bullet hold, I want all the bullet hold I can get. Again, I cannot measure tension in tensions, I can measure bullet hold in pounds, a good number is 40 pounds.

For me it is much simpler to make a transfer, I use the transfer to transfer the dimensions of the chamber to the seating die, reloaders call the transfer 'a dummy cartridge.

F. Guffey