Thread: Numbers

1. Default Numbers

I am going to post pictures of serial numbers stamped into stocks of WRA mounted rifles and the series numbers stamped into the bases of the 150 rifles Niedner on which Niedner mounted scopes. These are both rarely encountered due to the rarity of the rifles themselves. Two collectors with Niedner rifles did not wish to dismount the scopes on their rifles to check for stamped numbers. I can understand their reluctance. It is also difficult to find these rifles with their original stocks. I post these pictures for no other reason but to show those who have never seen one that they do exist.

Note the screws on the Niedner rifles are not staked. Since the bases were soldered on, there was no need to stake the screws ? They are soldered in place. Enjoy

1903 with Win A5_SN on Stk-Annotated-JT.jpgMax Bruenstein Rifle Serial Number in Stock - Annotated.jpgNiedner Rifle w_84 Stamped into Base - Annotated.jpgNiedner Rifle w_121 Stamped into Taper Base - Annotated.jpg
    Last edited by Marine A5 Sniper Rifle; 02-24-2023 at 05:02.

There were several variations of Niedner sniper rifles that I encountered in the Marine files, with detailed pics from 1918 to 1923. There are even more variations until 1944. These rifles were made and rebuilt with revisions by the Marines for nearly 25 years. Because of this, there are no discernable ways to tell what style of Mann Niedner came first, as those detailed records do not exist. The Army also had Mann Niedner rifles in the 20's, as well as there were many built in the commercial market.

The only possible way anyone could ever claim a rifle was one of the first 150 made by Niedner in 1917, compared to the hundreds that were made in 1918 and later by the Marines, would be to find that specific serial number listed on a Marine doc stating it was one of the first 150 made.

I never found any evidence the Marines soldered any mounts. Actually the Marine docs state the exact opposite.
    Last edited by cplnorton; 02-24-2023 at 04:14.

Blog Entries

The Cheek Rest looks more like a stock sleeve, as in not much rise to it,

never seen one in the wild

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by cplnorton View Post
    There were several variations of Niedner sniper rifles that I encountered in the Marine files, with detailed pics from 1918 to 1923. There are even more variations until 1944. These rifles were made and rebuilt with revisions by the Marines for nearly 25 years. Because of this, there are no discernable ways to tell what style of Mann Niedner came first, as those detailed records do not exist. The Army also had Mann Niedner rifles in the 20's, as well as there were many built in the commercial market.

The only possible way anyone could ever claim a rifle was one of the first 150 made by Niedner in 1917, compared to the hundreds that were made in 1918 and later by the Marines, would be to find that specific serial number listed on a Marine doc stating it was one of the first 150 made.

I never found any evidence the Marines soldered any mounts. Actually the Marine docs state the exact opposite.
    You can tell Norton has not been paying attention.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by lyman View Post
    The Cheek Rest looks more like a stock sleeve, as in not much rise to it,

never seen one in the wild
    Sgt. LaValley had one just like it on his rifle. It had about 1/2" of padding on the off side. Someone on this forum, or used to be on this forum, owns LaValley's rifle. Maybe he will respond.