Thread: Bullets For Reloading 7.62 X 39

1. Default Bullets For Reloading 7.62 X 39

I would like to reload some Norma 7.62 X 39 ammo. The specs call for .311 or .312 diameter bullets weighing about 123 grains. Help me out here. What specific bullets would you suggest. Thanks, Lee Hoffman

I like the Hornaday 123 gr. SST. It gets good results in my rifles in that caliber and the ballistic tip resists deformation slamming through military semi auto actions. Any bullet by a quality manufacturer in the 122 gr. - 124 gr. range should give good results though. Bullet diameter is .310. Hornaday sells loaded ammo with this bullet in 7.62x39 so if you want to do a check it out thing you could buy a box of factory ammo before you invest in a bunch of bullets.
    Last edited by Art; 01-23-2023 at 02:17.

Blog Entries

with any caliber, re reloading, buy a box of a few different types, and try them in your rifle,

the rifle will tell you which it likes, then buy in bulk

4. Default

What are you shooting it in? Mini 30s are .308 I think. Commie guns are .311. Not sure about AR.

Ruger claims all Mini 14s are safe with all factory 7.62x39mm ammunition regardless of bore diameter. I'll just about guarantee that all commercial ammo uses .310-.312 bullets. I know that Hornaday produces their loaded ammo with .310 bullets. If using this ammo was a problem with any Mini 30 I'd have to assume that both Ruger and the ammo companies would say so for legal liability reasons if nothing else.

I have also heard that reloading 7.62x39 cases with .308 bullets can result in neck tension issues. I don't know about that, maybe its only true with some dies and/or some brass.

Yep, plenty of people shoot AK surplus rounds through their Mini-30's. I've heard that the barrels do get a might warm after a while. For me, I can't get past those cave man iron sights on the Mini's.

Just a suggestion, but there are a multiplicity of cast lead bullets that would work very well in the 7.62x39mm round. It's modest velocity would not be a problem with cast lead bullets sized correctly to fit the bore. With gas checks, virtually any possible problems would be eliminated. At normal distances for the AK round, the FMJ's, etc. offer no real advantage. Sincerely. bruce.
    " Unlike most conservatives, libs have no problem exploiting dead children and dancing on their graves."