1. Default 1873 Trapdoor Breech Block-Ammo Question

I know from reading many posts the topic of ammo and what kind is safe to shoot in an old Trapdoor has been well covered. Over Christmas I became the owner of an early 1873 Springfield Trapdoor rifle. I say early because that's what I was told. It has a four digit serial number (4927) and I was also told it has never received any armory upgrades.

From what I read and what I see on the gun, that is the case. So in reading about the correct ammo I see obviously the gun must be in good shape and hot ammo for modern 45-70s is to be avoided. Further, it seems that jacketed projectiles are also to be avoided. Reduced recoil 405 gr RNFP lead bullets seem to win out as what to use. One video I watched said you should go further and load your own using black powder so you were as close to original as possible. I was thinking I had it figured out and bought two boxes of Fiocchi cowboy action reduced recoil 405 grain lead RNFP ammo. Then I read one more post. I'm not sure, as I have read so many, but I believe it was on gunboards that I saw it. Anyway, the question was something like, if you have an early trapdoor with a "high arch" breech block what ammo should you use and I believe the response was "they were not safe to fire in 1873 that's why they changed out that part so no ammo made today is safe to fire in it."

Oh no! I had no plans to shoot it very often but I had thought I would take it out at least once. Now I read unsafe at any speed! It has been completely dismantled, inspected, and reassembled by a credible gunsmith and I received a letter stating it was in excellent condition.

So, with an early high arch breech block, is there anything safe to use in it, again assuming that it is in good condition?

My first Trapdoor turned out to be a fencing musket so this is the first one that I was hoping was range worthy.

I know this is one of those topics that has been beat to death and in the end most seem to support the position that if the weapon is indeed in good shape then reduced recoil lead projectile ammo should be fine. This was just the first time I'd seen someone call into question the safety of the early high arch breech block so I thought I'd ask the experts.

Thoughts and advice welcome.

If I had nothing to start with, and were just looking for any trapdoor to shoot, even if not a lot, I would not pick one of the early high-arch block models, because their value, due to their great scarcity, is as a collectable piece of history, rather than a "shooter". There are MANY thousands of nondescript TDs (the ENTIRE 112,000 rifles) from 198K through 310K, where NOTHING happened in history, NO "rare" models occurred, but they all have the stronger action, and many of those in nice condition have excellent bores. It wasn't just the block arch, the block and receiver were also widened, and, if comparably tested to destruction, the later guns were certainly stronger. Many people are unaware that the hinge pin is superfluous and that it is entirely SAFE to fire the rifle with it completely removed! No one would do this, and it would be very. impractical, but still "safe" as far as coming open.

That said, there is nothing inherently dangerous about an early rifle (in good condition) if used with proper ammunition. Many people shoot them. My pet "won't" is the Model 1866 - I just don't feel good about screws and solder, and THAT block is a solid cylinder with NO arch at all.

I probably haven't answered your question, but I am primarily a collector, not a shooter. Hope that some of that helped.

3. Default

I messed up my reply to you just now, it just sort of disappeared so if I post the same reply twice sorry. I think what you are saying is if it is in good condition with proper ammo you can shoot it but why would you want to? I'm new to Trapdoors and did not fully realize the scarcity of this rifle. There are lots of Trapdoors out there that I could buy and shoot. I would hate for anything to happen to this rifle more than I want to shoot it. So I will take your advice and enjoy it for what it is and not risk it at the range. The gun has survived close to 150 years unmolested and undamaged. I don't want to be the one to damage it now. Thank you for the quick response and honest opinion.