Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

okay, so I loaded 3 rounds with the mold I bought which turned out to be the new version of the mini ball. I don't quite like it as it looks like the end of the bullet is cut off which also makes it shorter.
    I seated it up to the 2nd grease grove to get somewhat close to the original case length of 1.690.
    My only issue is that I have no way to crimp the case in order to keep the bullet in place.
    I used 50 grains of 2ff which i was able to compress a little over an 1/8" so as not to seat too deep. On one round I used a home made wad so I was able to compress the powder a little further. Since the bullet is basically a flat nose I used a piece of wood to cover the bullet and seated it with my press.
    Being that the bullet is loose in the case would that be an issue as far as an air gap?
    Thanks for any advise. Her are some pics.
    IMG_20220706_182631.jpgIMG_20220706_155357.jpg

Some cartridges, usually pistol, had stab crimps. Perhaps you could make a sort of 'cradle' to hold the round and then tap with a prick punch at three or four locations around the case mouth. You might want to round and polish the head of the punch. Your rounds don't need to be really sturdy, just so they don't fall apart while loading. You do not want an air gap!!

Quite right . . . . .NO AIR GAP with black powder!!

Being a single shot, no crimping is necessary

My rounds fired perfectly!!
    I attached a video shooting this 150 plus year old rifle. Probably hasn't been fired in over 100 years most likely.
    I reduced the load to 30 gr. On 2 rounds and 40 gr. On the last round. Only shot at about 25 yards in my brother's back yard as an hour ride to the range threw shore traffic wasn't going to happen today.
    Very accurate at 25 yards, put the last round right threw the 2nd shot.
    Enjoy the video, I need to loose some weight LOL!!!

Very good - I especially noted two things: no keyholing, and no smoke/gas leakage at breech.

7. Default

This is a little late but I have paper patched minie balls to get the diameter larger for cartridge guns. My first 50-70 cartridges were done this way. It worked as a stopgap for me but may be fine long term to keep from buying a custom mould. Good luck!

Paper patching may help to tighten the bullet in the case without having to crimp it?? Thanks w10085, didn’t think of that.