Thread: Culling brass.

Default Culling brass.

This morning I have been working on a few 200 rnd trays of RA 68 brass that has been reloaded at least 8-10 times and annealed 3 or 4. De-priming with Frankford had tool. These are the steps that I use personally.

1. Check for split necks.

2. Examine base for extractor grove damage and make sure a berdan case hasn't worked it's way into the batch.

3. De-prime. Looking for a good snap on the tool indicating good primer pocket. If it's weak it gets tossed into the trash.

Whatta Hobby!

Culling 3.jpgCulling 2.jpgCulling 1.jpg

Agree. Got to keep an eye on your brass. Looks like you got your money's worth out of that lot. Sincerely. bruce.
    " Unlike most conservatives, libs have no problem exploiting dead children and dancing on their graves."

No fooling. I had something like 20K of the stuff that a friend ended up with decades ago. It was surveyed ammo he got in a contract to remove a few loads of what was described as hazardous waste. Who woulda thunk.

Wow. Thought I'd hit a gold mine when I ran up of four cases of 7.62 ball! Do you sort brass by weight, etc.? Sincerely. bruce.
    " Unlike most conservatives, libs have no problem exploiting dead children and dancing on their graves."

I don't sort USGI brass by weight at all, I only use it for generic loading to be shot at steel targets. Precision stuff using DAG,MEN,Laupa and Startite brass yes.

6. Default

Do you use one of those cut away case headspace gauges which allow inspecting the shoulder contact with the gauge?

Yes, I have Sherdan gauges for all calibers that I load.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by nf1e View Post
    Yes, I have Sherdan gauges for all calibers that I load.
    Those are the ones. Thanks.

Also, drop a case or two on the bench or floor.

If not sounding like a bell, trash it. getting ready to split.

10. Default

Do you use one of those cut away case headspace gauges which allow inspecting the shoulder contact with the gauge?
    My cases do not have head space, I do use case gages and I use chamber gages, the tools are not expensive because I make my own.

F. Guffey