Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Trevor View Post
    I read his question a different way. He wanted to know IF there were North Dakota marked rifles. And if so he would like to find one for his collection of North Dakota military items.
    This is correct, I am asking if they marked any rifles, sorry for the confusion guys! Does anyone have the SRS book set that could look and see if they are in there?

I see what you mean - usually a person HAS a rifle and wants info on it. I was wrong - will look at my SRS books and see if I can find anything re North Dakota. I have never (knowingly) seen such a piece, however.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Hosmer View Post
    I see what you mean - usually a person HAS a rifle and wants info on it. I was wrong - will look at my SRS books and see if I can find anything re North Dakota. I have never (knowingly) seen such a piece, however.
    Thank you!

Vols. 3,4 - nothing found for ND. Vols. 2 (HUGE TD section) and 1 (the original eye-buster!) yet to go.

I am struck by the fact that it would be great to have the SRS data in a 'modern' DB format, with proper fields, allowing ALL data to be searchable. Maybe someone (much) younger than I could approach Wayne Gagner and see if such exists, or, if not, whether it could be created - which would involve TONS of mind-numbing work (to say nothing of breeding a few errors along the way).

As I see it, you've got quite a chase. First, there is the basic question - WERE any TDs stamped "ND" (or a 19th century equivalent)? If nothing ever turns up in SRS, the odds are there weren't any, but if one/some does/do, how do you find another? Serial number 'closeness' means absolutely nothing. Perhaps the closest thing might be to check the various unit histories and see which, if any, US troops served there? NOT what you want, I know, but it may be the closest thing you'll ever find.

5. Default

Vols. 3,4 - nothing found for ND. Vols. 2 (HUGE TD section) and 1 (the original eye-buster!) yet to go.

I am struck by the fact that it would be great to have the SRS data in a 'modern' DB format, with proper fields, allowing ALL data to be searchable. Maybe someone (much) younger than I could approach Wayne Gagner and see if such exists, or, if not, whether it could be created - which would involve TONS of mind-numbing work (to say nothing of breeding a few errors along the way).

As I see it, you've got quite a chase. First, there is the basic question - WERE any TDs stamped "ND" (or a 19th century equivalent)? If nothing ever turns up in SRS, the odds are there weren't any, but if one/some does/do, how do you find another? Serial number 'closeness' means absolutely nothing. Perhaps the closest thing might be to check the various unit histories and see which, if any, US troops served there? NOT what you want, I know, but it may be the closest thing you'll ever find.
    Actually I was gonna ask this very question there are alot of forts in ND Most date from the late 1860s to early 1870s How would I go about finding a rifle from one of those units? I was actually digging some finds out of one 3 weeks ago,The fort I was digging had the 20th INF stationed there, and the fort from my hometown had 20th inf also.

6. Default

With all the appropriate legal disclaimers…

…there is a seller on the original online clearinghouse, which starts with an “e” and rhymes with day, who is advertising just such a thing on a USB stick or the like. Caveats include the questionable right to the info (although IIRC before my time it was posted as a searchable database free of charge by the original fellow behind it) and that it apparently includes - or included - only the 1995 version of the 4th volume. But supposedly the data is taken from a digital database created for the SRS books.

(I should say I have no idea if everything is searchable in the advertised format.)

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=244773
    Last edited by Lead Snowstorm; 12-14-2021 at 02:04.

Blog Entries

I miss the old website where you could just key in a serial number and find out ,

I'm not computer literate to know what type of database it was stored on,

I joined SRS a year or so ago, (I have 3 of the books from years past)

of course, it would be nice if they offered members access to something like the old website,

honestly tho,, it would be nice if they just updated the current sites,,,

I did purchase a copy of the SRS on the flash drive and the attached is the search function
    There are "NO DAK" listings but most are university, "DAK" gives mostly "Univ of SO DAK" and "ND" finds i"ND"ian and 2"ND" and so on.

Here is a screen shot of the search page
    Capture.jpg
    The Right of the People to Keep and Bear Arms....

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by 45govt View Post
    I did purchase a copy of the SRS on the flash drive and the attached is the search function
    There are "NO DAK" listings but most are university, "DAK" gives mostly "Univ of SO DAK" and "ND" finds i"ND"ian and 2"ND" and so on.

Here is a screen shot of the search page
    Capture.jpg
    Looks like I have to find serial 52100 hahaha, that is what they called NDSU back on the day. Any rifles assigned to 20th inf?

Serial number is 535409
    The Right of the People to Keep and Bear Arms....