Default Historical M1 Rifle

This early Springfield four digit rifle was rebuilt at some point in time during the war. It was located
    at a Michigan gun show in the late 1990's.

The serial number was sent to the late Frank Mallory at Springfield Research who was able to document
    that this was the first M1 rifle sent to Winchester in Sept 1938 for testing and evaluationP1010033.jpgP1010030.jpgdscn1719.jpg

Blog Entries

nice find!!

Pre war gas trap rifles sent to Winchester

1. SN 1607 sent in Sept 1938 as part of a package of drawings, specifications, clips, combination
    tool, cleaning rod and bayonet. rifle was tested and returned to Springfield, rebuilt and returned
    to service.

2. SN 11124 sent to Winchester on June 28, 1939, Sent back to Springfield on Aug 19, 1939.

location unknown

3. SN 11919 sent to Winchester and tested at long ranges

location unknown

4. SN 15070 sent to Winchester just a few months before new gas system

now at Cody museum

Copies of receipt from Springfield to Winchester for #1607P1010027.jpgP1010028.jpg
    Last edited by RCS; 10-01-2021 at 07:51.

4. Default

Sounds like the rifle as an example for starting the Winchester Educational contract. The just of the documents seems to indicate GFE (Government Furnished Equipment) for the beginnings of a contract. Great find. The rifle was probably returned to the Army at some point and rebuilt into a gas port rifle and then released to US Army stores. Excellent find!!

Now if you can find the return documents. Probably some time after the war when Winchester's contract ended and the GFE was returned.
    Last edited by fjruple; 10-02-2021 at 04:05.

Canfield's book "The M1 Garand rifle" has a few pages about testing the early SA gas trap rifles
    at Winchester.

Interesting that Remington was not included and Pugsley was not that interested in the Garand
    as Winchester had their own semi auto rifle.

Question on Springfield serial number 1607.

This rifle being manufactured in early 1938, shipped to Winchester for testing, being
    returned at some point in time during WW2 ( not being annealed during rebuild might
    indicate 1942 or 1943 ?) returned as a gas port rifle (barrel is S-A 4-41 with mint bore)
    and returned to service.

This rifle does not show alot of service usage as my photos show. My question: what
    kind of value would you place on this rifle if you were going to sell it ?P1010030_0015.jpgP1010028_0027.jpgP1010023_0022.jpgP1010022_0021.jpg

Default early windage knob

There were a few early parts on 1607 when I bought it. One part was the windage knob, very early and small checkering
    pattern, had to take a few photos to get the checkering pattern. never seen one, only picturesdscn1064.jpgdscn1066.jpg

Blog Entries

not sure on pricing,

the provenance will drive it up a bit , if that type of collector gets wind of it,

even if it was rebuilt ,

my brother and I both have 3 digits (mine is dated to my Birth Month, and Dad's birth year (38), my brothers dates to his birth month, all by coincidence)

both were rebuilt , mine still has the greenish park from the 40's, he is the light gray,

both were school guns,

not sure what they are worth either,,

That is a hell of a find! You should contact 5 Mad farmers, I bet he could dig up more background and provenance. I am wondering what it meant, 1938 the US was thinking about producing great numbers of a self-loading battle rifle. Who was pushing this? It really showed forethought. Reminds me of Hap Arnold that year, setting up a string of bomber bases in the west, beyond the range of carrier-based planes. And pushing for development of the B-29.

jn