Quote Originally Posted by BudT View Post
I don't believe I would be willing to shoot that 91 chambered in .308 Winchester using anything near full .308 pressure loads. But hey, whatever floats someone's boat.
He gave me the rifle, I said the rifle was a 7.65x53 B.M/Argentine, he disagreed, he was 92 and I was 80. When I got the rifles home I started checking the chambers, the 91 Argentine was a 308W; I called him and apologized. He said he built the rifle as an extra, he loaned the rifle to any that showed up to hunt without a rifle. By that time I had taken the rifle apart, the barrel was a 308 diameter barrel, it was not a .311". He said it was a M1917 barrel. The .311" barrel would have reduced the pressure.

I made a few calls to find parts to return it to 7.65x53, again I found shotgun barrels with enough parts to build another rifle plus a 7mm57 Spanish Mauser complete. So I dug out a few tools and then removed the barreled action from the stock; the barrel was welded to the receiver.

My friend was a master welder, machinist and gunsmith, so I applied the 'leaver policy' I am going to leave it the way I founder. He gave me his press and dies, I did not find a 308 W set of dies meaning he purchased new factory, over the counter ammo for the 91 Argentine, and now? I am going to give the rifle to my son, he is not in need for a rifle. I am hoping to load 100 rounds of starting loads before he gets here (this coming Saturday) .

F. Guffey