Thread: Mystery solved.

Default Mystery solved.

For months I have been trying to locate the source of a .127 ball bearing that appeared on my work bench. For any of you that have taken something apart and re-assembled only to find parts left over, you know the feeling I have been having. During that period of time I had worked on a bunch of SAI NM rear sights with the bearings and a few Savage bolt rifles that I took apart the bolts and put them back together. Being sure this freaking bearing came from one of those jobs, I went back over them all to no avail.
    By chance today while loading a few hundred Berger 150 fb bullets I found a duplicate of the mystery bearing in the bottom of the container I dump bullets into for loading. Source turned out to be from one of the 100 rnd Bullet boxes from Berger. I have no idea how they might have found their way into them, but they were sealed when I opened them and dumped into the container which I had just cleaned and dusted this morning so I know it wasn't there earlier. Whatta Hobby!

bearing.jpg

2. Default

Ya might give Berger a call. Maybe they'll send you a free box.

Worth a shot.

Blog Entries

betting they use the ball bearings to tumble the bullets to polish or clean

Quote Originally Posted by lyman View Post
    betting they use the ball bearings to tumble the bullets to polish or clean
    That would be my guess also.

6. Default

No clue, but a dealer at the Dallas Market Hall gun show gave me two boxes of 9 MM ammo, the ammo was different. The bullets were sabot, meaning when the round was fired the steel ball never touched the rifling. I asked him why he was so generous, he said he shot one round from his 9MM, he said the steel ball hit everything metal in his shop; he said he does not understand how it missed him. He claimed the ammo was for practice.

F. Guffey
    Last edited by fguffey; 07-18-2021 at 09:29.

Had a PM on another forum with a very good possible explanation that brought out a good belly laugh. " Judging by the size it could be a snowflake ball ". And all this time I thought snowflakes were balless bags of hot air.

Blog Entries

well since you got the balls, ,I guess one is?