Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Springfield Model 1873 SRS Check SN: 73920

Thank you!

73902, 73903, 73912, 73918, 73920, 73925, 73927, 72930. Hardly ever see that close an early group and all listed to one unit. 84R [Buffington sight?] 8-28-98 Co-m 4th Ill. Vol. Infantry

Tom,

I appreciate you looking that up for me! Looks like I have a lot more research to do. I recently bought the rifle at auction of a pretty substantial collection.

To start off, this is my first Trapdoor so I am new to learning about them but have done a fair amount of research. This one should have been made in Q4 of 1876.

I don't know to how to post a photo, but I do not think it's buffington sights. To my understanding the buffingtons are the most complex of the all. With screws, a triangle, and it even seemed like windage degrees.

I believe mine are the basic M73 sights. Four steps laying down and it flips up and goes to 1100 yards. It has the smooth top screws holding it in place. The front sight is one whole piece and does not have a removable blade which seems correct as I heard that removable blade started after 90k.
    I'll post some other info as well.

EDIT:

I got on the computer and I see how to add photos now.

IMG_1348.jpg
    A side shot of the rifle.

IMG_1333.jpg
    Lockplate with:
    Eagle on left then
    U.S.
    Springfield

I believe that is the M73 Type II Hammer and I do not know what the proper dates for that are.

IMG_1339.jpg
    Breechblock with:
    Model
    Eagle w/ Arrows
    US

I am not 100% sure this is the correct breechblock as my eyes is not yet keen enough to tell the differences. I believe it is the deep groove style. I am not sure if this has "rounded" or "square" edges as I couldn't tell a difference in comparison photos on trapdoorcollector.com so I musn't know exactly what to look for.

IMG_1335.jpg
    Open Receiver: I think it is the narrow style with shallow gas ports. I'm not 100% in that so please correct me if needed. I haven't taken it apart to tell what style firing pin it has. The breechblock gas a "R" stamp on the bottom side which i believe denotes it is for a rifle.

IMG_1340.jpg
    Barrel Markings with additional view of rear sights:
    V
    P
    Eagle
    p
    Last edited by huntylterer; 06-19-2021 at 09:41. Reason: Added Photos & Descriptions

Here are some additional photos:

IMG_1341.jpg
    Solid front sight. Which I believe is correct since I read removable blades started at ~90,000.

IMG_1342.jpg
    ESA in oval (no date) cartouche is faint and muddied by dents but you are able to make it out in person at the right angle. This seems correct to me as I read this was stopped in 1877 due to his death.

IMG_1345.jpg
    R.D.R. Stock stamp (I don't know what this means) and the Script P in circle proof mark.

IMG_1347.jpg
    This is the interesting part which I have not yet found information on, but your SRS check may connect the dots.
    US
    (Screw)

C
    O
    N A
    N

The "CONN" appeared like it would have had to be a one piece stamp because it had a faint double stamp as well. I haven't found any references to this anywhere so far.

Looking at this rifle, it is obvious it has been taken apart at some point. There is chipping of the stock in the obvious locations for when you open one of these up, scratch marks on the barrel that make it evident the barrel bands have come off at some point, and all the screws have been tweaked. It is well dinged up which lets you know it has seen some kind of use. The screw shaped dent in the stock beside the ESA cartouche is an interesting quirk to me. I hypothesize it is from the hammer screw on another rifle and it happened during storage/shipment.
    Although this gun has definitely been taken apart, everything is still seeming to be the correct versions to me, but I am still in the beginnings of my research.

Another quirk of this weapon is the hammer only has one position which is fully cocked. Since this is post 1875 I believe it should have the 3-position tumbler. I imagine somebody took it apart and ground off the other two catches so they could easily know whether it was fully cocked. I am tempted to open it up and take a peek, but I don't want to risk further damaging the stock.

Let me know if you have any feedback, comments, or any recommended reference materials. Essentially my research has been looking through trapdoorcollector.com. If there is a recommended book just let me know!

Thank you!
    Last edited by huntylterer; 06-19-2021 at 09:58.

5. Default

RDR
    R D Roper

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Trevor View Post
    73902, 73903, 73912, 73918, 73920, 73925, 73927, 72930. Hardly ever see that close an early group and all listed to one unit. 84R [Buffington sight?] 8-28-98 Co-m 4th Ill. Vol. Infantry
    I apologize for my ignorance, but to give you a frame of reference I am 23 and this is my first weapon purchased as a collection item. I am learning after the fact. Most of my knowledge has come from trapdoorcollector.com and browsing some forums. I saw it at an auction without ever hearing of them before and thought the trapdoor action was very interesting and I had to have it. I have little to no understanding of these abbreviations. I have my assumptions, but I would appreciate it if you could expand these terms for me.

Thank you, Tom!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kragrifle View Post
    RDR
    R D Roper
    Thank you for your help!

For my money, you can do no better than Al Frasca?s website . . . .and his books.
    So I believe you are on the right track with trapdoorcollector.com.

Since the rifle had for its life been unaltered for the most part indicates state militia service. Had it been regular army it would have received the current sight installed and if worn would have been replaced in service. You can be sure whatever ill treatment it has received came after it left the state control. CONN usually means it was issued to a unit in Connecticut. 32 would have been a rack or soldier number. Checking on line the fourth Ill vol. infantry did serve in Cuba during the Spanish American war. Remove the lock and you can see what has happened to the tumbler to cause the safety features to not function Loosen the tang screw to relieve pressure on the wood loosen the lock screws and push on each a bit to ease the lock out of the mortice. You might put a little lemon oil around the lock to half preserve the wood and its also good for the stock in general. Post a picture of the lock internals so we can see what happened to it.

Please make sure that the hammer is in the cocked position when removing the lock so it won't chip the stock around the lock plate. Otherwise it will chip the top of the stock above the lock plate because of interference of the inside parts with the stock.

Jim O

10. Default

Noted your comment over on the TD collectors site - tried to reply there but the limited functionality is frustrating and on top of that my messages kept getting kicked back as spam for reasons unclear to me...

Anyway, re: RDR dates, I have a 512K serial M88 from 1891 with the RDR stamp.