Thread: Interesting X 6 million serial number garand

1. Default Interesting X 6 million serial number garand

I picked this interesting X 6 million garand up recently. I have gotten a number of opinions about it. I think at the least a skilled garand gunsmith put it together probably off what was originally a National Match rifle. It has some characteristics of a Don McCoy rifle but is not signed by him.

https://www.gunboards.com/threads/in...#post-10674301

Mac didn’t sign all his guns, I have a M1 Service Rifle I commissioned him to build in 2005 that he didn’t sign, what signature characteristics of his do you believe your rifle has? Hard to tell from the photos but the lower band and stock ferrule don’t look like Mac’s typical treatment to improve upward tension and draw pressure at the lower band, he did this by bedding the receiver at an angle higher in the front on the stock flats necessitating elongating the lower band’s opening of the ears where it mates to the stock ferrule, Mac also liked to glue the front handguard to the barrel through the handguard channel front to back on top of the barrel. Mac also didn’t stamp the stock flats the same as your rifle, he did stamp some of them though, but with smaller stamps and not so deep. Check this thread out on McCoy M1’s over on the M14 Forum, the McCoy match rifle with the Redfield sights is my rifle, https://www.m14forum.com/threads/don...secret.174858/

I recently twisted together a 6 million SA using a SA 7.62MM barrel like yours, great shooter, not bedded though, just a plinker fun gun, how’s yours shoot?
    Last edited by Jay Johnson; 04-21-2021 at 09:42.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Johnson View Post
    Mac didn’t sign all his guns, I have a M1 Service Rifle I commissioned him to build in 2005 that he didn’t sign, what signature characteristics of his do you believe your rifle has? Hard to tell from the photos but the lower band and stock ferrule don’t look like Mac’s typical treatment to improve upward tension and draw pressure at the lower band, he did this by bedding the receiver at an angle higher in the front on the stock flats necessitating elongating the lower band’s opening of the ears where it mates to the stock ferrule, Mac also liked to glue the front handguard to the barrel through the handguard channel front to back on top of the barrel. Mac also didn’t stamp the stock flats the same as your rifle, he did stamp some of them though, but with smaller stamps and not so deep. Check this thread out on McCoy M1’s over on the M14 Forum, the McCoy match rifle with the Redfield sights is my rifle, https://www.m14forum.com/threads/don....174858/page-3

I recently twisted together a 6 million SA using a SA 7.62MM barrel like yours, great shooter, not bedded though, just a plinker fun gun, how’s yours shoot?
    how is the cheek weld with that rear sight?

looks like it would be a bit high?

Quote Originally Posted by lyman View Post
    how is the cheek weld with that rear sight?

looks like it would be a bit high?
    Two points on that,

1) It was a little high with that pictured RPA rear sight but manageable, I run that rifle with a Redfield Palma sight on it now which is a lot lower than the RPA, the aperture hole is on the bottom of the elevation bar on the Palma as opposed to on top of the elevation bar like on the International and Olympic rear sights, the cheek weld is pretty good with the Palma rear sight

2) In NRA Highpower competition, which is what the rifle was built for, with those sights that rifle is in the Match Rifle category and I could improvise a cheek riser if I had to.

Here it is with the Palma

Last edited by Jay Johnson; 04-21-2021 at 09:50.