Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Need feedback on new vehicles..

I'm thinking between the Nissan Frontier or the Toyoda Tundra?

Who has either and how you like it?

Blog Entries

new or used?

and a Frontier, mid or small truck
    vs
    Toyota Tundra, full size pickup,

friend had a Titan that crapped out (trans) and bought a new Frontier a year ago,
    no issues, no drama,

I have a 2000 tundra, one of the best vehicles I have ever owned,
    V8 auto axxess cab SR5,

biggest thing I hear about newer Tundras is that they will pass everything except a gas station

My son was never going to get rid of his Dodge Cummins diesel (2006). Bought a new Toyota Tacoma, and sold the Dodge two months later.

Read this:

https://www.carscoops.com/2016/05/ma...or%20his%20job.

Edit: The Tundra only offers a V8 that isn’t as fuel efficient as the V6 engines that the other trucks offer. If you aren’t towing or hauling heavy loads and are worried about gas mileage, then a V6 might make sense. Ford is coming out with a F150 Hybrid. Consumer Reports gives the Tundra 4 out of 5 stars for reliability. Ford and GM trucks don’t do as well.

I subscribed to CR when I was looking over the field of SUVs in 2018 and it was $39 well spent.
    Last edited by Merc; 04-14-2021 at 04:40.

JJ, maybe the Tundra's are a good truck but the 2019 Tacoma is a POS. What ever you do don't buy one unless you want something to work on. I don't know anything about the Nissan's anymore but they used to be pretty good vehicles, I never had any problems with the 2 I have owned. HTH
    I DDUW BO'R DIOLCH

6. Default

2004 Frontier 4cyl stick 2wd. Love it compared to the 95 S-10 is replaced. Friend had a Toyota and said it rode like it was on the railroad. The ties, not the rails.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by barretcreek View Post
    2004 Frontier 4cyl stick 2wd. Love it compared to the 95 S-10 is replaced. Friend had a Toyota and said it rode like it was on the railroad. The ties, not the rails.
    the 82 Toyota hi Lux 4x4 SR5 I had for a few years road like a buck board,

never got stuck,

it's failing was the typical early 80's Toyota problem ,,, Rust,

it literally rotted in 1/2

BudT, what is wrong with your Taco?

friend has had a 2013 and now a 2015 with no issues whatsoever

The 2020 Tacoma is the best of the past several model years and earned high marks from CR for reliability and owner satisfaction. The 2019 didn’t do as well in either category.

I have had several Toyota Tundra 4Wheel drive Trucks over the years Darn good rugged truck i pull a trailer with a small backhoe on it and my boat and anything else i hook up to with no problem my friend and i had a pulling contest he has the new Ford pickup we hooked up rear hitch to hitch i pulled him backwards it was funny i have the 5.7 V8 purchased a new one when i retired .love the Tundra

I have been looking at , i.e. engineer-nerding-out researching, the smaller pickup trucks the past several months. If the old RAV4 ever dies (currently at 239k miles), I plan to but a low mileage used truck. I want 4WD, automatic transmission (bummer IMO but several family don't drive manuals), ability to carry 4 adults in slightly better than sardine comfort. What I have ciphered about the Nissan Frontiers is:
    The Frontier is pretty much unchanged 2005-2019 model years. The Frontier years of '05-'11 or so have radiators had/have a problem that failed frequently and allowed mixing of coolant and transmission fluids . Google "Nissan SMOD" (Strawberry Milkshake Of Death). I think that a radiator change is not a huge job.
    In 2020 Nissan changed the drivetrain completely, to a smaller V6 and 9-speed automatic (previous was a 5 speed auto trans, bullet proof but not the best MPG (21-17-ish hwy/city, 4WD). The newer motor makes a smidgen more Hp, but is higher revving. That, and the 9-speed gives a couple more mpg. In 2021 or '22, Nissan is selling the Frontier with all new body. IMO, it looks like a clone of everyone else's. It also is packed with "tech", push button starting, all the collision avoidance, adaptive cruise control, back-up collision avoidance sensors common nowadays. The pricing is also considerably higher.

The new Ford Rangers seem good, are expensive, and are still too new for now.

I have read of too many transmission issues with Chevrolets to consider them.

The Toyota Tacomas seem OK. They are very expensive, IMO think their brand name is worth the premium costs. I sat in a few, '19 and '20 models, and honestly didn't care for hos "car-ish" they felt, low seating, high dash and window lines. Wifey is barely 5'-0" and that has to be checked before seriously considering one.

IMHO, Nissan just removed themselves from their long-held niche of a reliable, no-frills pickup. At present, I'm thinking to find a low mileage '18 or '19 Nissan Frontier "Pro-4X" trim. They have a locking rear differential and a few other things I like.
    HTH a bit,
    Tommy