1. Default H&R 1873 sight too short

I got around to shooting the Trapdoor I got a few weeks back. It was was hitting a few feet high at 80 yards with the rear sight at its absolute lowest setting. Had to hold under the target to get it close. When I got home, I inspected the front sight and realized under close inspection that it had been filed down. The top was shiny and you could feel rough metal on the edges. I measured it and it's about .329 high. I looked it up and the sight should be .450 high I believe. I don't know why someone would want to file it since the rear sight is adjustable and will accommodate distances up to 1500 yards! Any ideas about how to fix this or where I can get a taller sight? It appears to be a standard width, about .375-.380 width on the bottom of the slot.

I think everyone that reads this will agree that at some point we have asked " why did they do that? You can go to a gun shop or on line and find sights for the 3/8 dovetail you have in heights up to .500. One problem to be aware of is some measure from the barrel up and others total height of sight.